Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Have decided to reinstall Outlook

by pwallace63 / April 4, 2008 4:52 AM PDT

It was installed by a tech who had it on a "stick." I don't have the original CD's. I assume that I have a reg. # for Microsoft Office, but don't have CD's for it either.

I'm reinstalling it because it just seems full of bugs. I can't open hyperlinks in email. It is running WAAAAY too slow. It stopped sending contacts enclosed in parentheses (IT put the parentheses there!). It won't import my calendar to my Ipod, or to my Hotmail account. I'm actually going to have to go back to a PAPER calendar. Yikes!

Question: How can I reinstall without the original CD's, and without losing what I have there now (dozens of emails, and 125 contacts)?

Thanks, Peg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have decided to reinstall Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have decided to reinstall Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: reinstalling Outlook without CD's.
by Kees Bakker / April 4, 2008 4:59 AM PDT

That's impossible.
And it's quite doubtful that you have a valid license and a valid registry number that you can use on a "borrowed" CD.
In fact, it's doubtful that you can even UNINSTALL it without the CD.

The way to go: to the shop. And buy it.
If you've got a backup of your data, you most probably won't lose it. If you don't have a backup you probably won't use it. Uninstalling Outlook leaves the data intact.

Kees

Collapse -
Went to the "help" menu
by pwallace63 / April 4, 2008 5:11 AM PDT

and it is licensed to me, with a proper reg and ID #. I just don't have the CD's.

Collapse -
MS will replace lost media.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 5:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Best of luck then.
by Kees Bakker / April 4, 2008 8:08 AM PDT

Microsoft might ask some questions if it's Office XP or earlier or not registered by you (starting with Office 2003, it has to be activated and Microsoft knows that it's a unique license).

And if your tech with his USB-stick was a crook with a cracked copy, they might have that registration number and ID blacklisted.
But if it's a proper copy there won't be much troubles.

Kees

Collapse -
Hey, thanks so much
by pwallace63 / April 5, 2008 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Best of luck then.

I'll try this. About the tech, he could be a crook, for all I know. I thought I could trust him, but he "accidentally" wiped my HD on my PC. I do really think it was an accident. He was a good salesman, but a lousy computer tech. Luckily, I had an external drive at home that allowed me to recover almost everything except my emails. I have the wiped HD, and thought I might take it to someone to see if they could recover anything, but I decided that he probably did something that made that impossible, since he had it for sale when I went back to get it.

Peg

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!