General discussion

Have connection but not wireless

My laptop normally connects with the wireless router but I have had to connect with a cable. There is a red X in the system tray over the Ralink Wireless LAN card, so I right clicked on it and it said Launch config utilities, my name was showing in the table, I highlighted it and clicked connect which took me to a page with WPA-PSK on it, I didn't know what to do, so clicked OK and it came up with the message:
Invalid WPA-pre-shared key WPA-PSK should use 8-63 ASCII characters or 64 Hex characters. I have absolutely no idea what this means. I think I messed it all up yesterday trying to see if I could get a microphone to work on the computer, and from reading something about going to add remove programs to set up speech, I accidentally clicked on the Ralink and its gone from the programme list, but the folder is still in the Programmes directory, I tried clicking on all the .exe files but nothing worked.
I have windows XP SP2, 1500 Mhz processor, 1.18 GB RAM, 40GB HDD

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Have connection but not wireless
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Have connection but not wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You should have left it alone. . .
- Collapse -
System restore

How do I do a system restore ?

- Collapse -
Click Start, Help and Support, type in System Restore.

You can also use a search engine.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Its all working fine.

CNET Forums

Forum Info