Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Have Cert.of Auth. but no CD

by rob.linuxsympatico.ca / May 20, 2006 11:12 PM PDT

I purchased a used machine from a local reputable dealer that came with a COA for XP pro. but no CD.

He says I can use anyones CD and my COA.

Does this sound like the right procedure or should I be burning a CD of some kind ??

Thanks Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have Cert.of Auth. but no CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have Cert.of Auth. but no CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is partially true.....
by Michael Geist / May 20, 2006 11:35 PM PDT

but can depend on the CD being used and the product key type. XP offers different versions (OEM, Retail, Corporate) of it's keys. Some will change the settup.ini file in the i386 folder of the CD to achieve the goal of matching the two.

http://www.petri.co.il/use_oem_version_to_upgrade_xp.htm

Collapse -
COA
by rob.linuxsympatico.ca / May 21, 2006 4:33 AM PDT

Thanks for the link....looks like lots of useful info there !!

Rob

Collapse -
Ask the dealer that you say is reputable
by DarCLew2 / May 21, 2006 4:26 AM PDT

For a CD. You may need to bring your machine in. Anyone can give you a bunch of numbers and claim it is the registration number.
I sat next to a man who installed WINME to be certain it was the correct key, I had been burnt once with a pirated version of WIN98SE. Now I believe in: Seeing is Believing attitude. Incidentially, my OEM version of WINXP Home Edition, has a COA but I had no need to use it for it was already registered under WINME on a Gateway Computer. I have set them aside in the event I have to get another make of computer and it will ask me for my COA. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
COA
by rob.linuxsympatico.ca / May 21, 2006 4:38 AM PDT

I did ask for the CD.....They say it's off-lease and OEM so they never see the CDs. It was really cheap and I needed a second machine so I bought it.

They have been in business locally for over 17 years and came highly recommended. The XP pro is working perfectly for now ....I'm just thinking ahead !!

Have whipped off an e-mail to Dell (yes,it's a Dell)...maybe they can get me a restore CD or whatever (for a price)!!

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.