Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Have Cable broadband...want to switch to DSL

by gwingee / November 1, 2005 10:32 AM PST

Just went thru Hurricane Wilma..no power..no cable..so no internet....but I had my phone. so, am now thinking of switching to DSL..any cons to this? I have Windows XP/SP2
HP computer...have downloaded a little music, a game and Mozilla. will I lose those?? The cable broadband is 43.00 a month..the DSL will be 33.00

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have Cable broadband...want to switch to DSL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have Cable broadband...want to switch to DSL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gwingee, Check With The DSL Provider For Any Limits...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2005 12:14 PM PST

...on downloads..I use a DSL provider that has no limits on downloads and in most cases, in our area, DSL is fairly comparable in speed. (Lots of cable users can bring the overall speed down although generally cable is a little faster on download speed.) You will not lose the ability to download music, use Mozilla, or play games.

Still, in order to operate a modem, whether cable or DSL, you will need power..Likewise for your computer, you'll need power..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
To Grif
by gwingee / November 1, 2005 9:28 PM PST

It says for downloads and connections
Up to 1.5Mbps/ 256Kbps (best effort)
50 times faster than dial up...??

Collapse -
In My Situation, I Chose DSL....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2005 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: To Grif

You may have a different preference...I have a similar speed service to the one you've indicated and it works fine..I had the option of cable or DSL and in my case, DSL was cheaper and easier to set up..Your situation may be different so only you can make the decision.

If you want to make the change, there's really no reason not to. Still, if you're looking to change because of the electrical issue, it won't make much difference..Both need power.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I WentThru Similar and Noted Phone Still Worked but.....
by tobeach / November 1, 2005 2:10 PM PST

but even with laptop (battery) & dial-up, couldn't access net as phone co. server wasn't on backup generation (neither were cell phones). In Canada (at least) Phone cos. must have sufficient back-up self generation for entire landline phone system but no so for Internet ISP (even if same phone co). Worth noting I think. Happy

Collapse -
Without power
by glb613 / November 1, 2005 7:15 PM PST

it doesn't matter what service you have. Nothing is going to work without electricity.

Collapse -
re power
by gwingee / November 1, 2005 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: Without power

I know nothing will work without power..but I have had power for several days before cable came on..If I had DSL I would think I would have at least been able to access the internet.

Collapse -
No power,no computer,no lights,no computer,no computer
by Earth911 / November 4, 2005 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: re power

Do you have a generator? If not,no computer..no computer

NO COMPUTER!!!!

Collapse -
Wide open
by Willy / November 1, 2005 11:10 PM PST

Any broadband is part of a network, thus you're dependant on the reliability of what that network consists of. You may find that DSL works but to what degree and don't expect it to be 100% after any disaster or if it doesn't work 100%, be happy for what you get. Plus, all those that may use it will soon overload it as well. Plus, being an asset maybe redirected to other uses in the public good.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?