Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Have any of your online retail accounts ever been compromised?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have any of your online retail accounts ever been compromised?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have any of your online retail accounts ever been compromised?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CC, not email

In reply to: Have any of your online retail accounts ever been compromised?

Yes, but for credit cards, not for email addresses. This happened "en masse" at a major retailer. I wasn't personally hacked, but my credit card company just assigned me a new number.

Collapse -
nope

none that I am aware of.

Collapse -
Yes, and it was a pain in the ar*e!

I had my e=bay account hacked and it caused me all sorts of problems and, as a result, I closed my ebay account as I don't trust their security.
It was actually paypal that that contacted me, querying some transactions on my account (totaling £200 (about $300)) that didn't look like my usual type. I had to inform the banks involved who informed me that, they couldn't do anything until the money had actually left my account, at which point it would become fraud.

The funds did leave my account and yes, they were paid back to me by the banks involved but after this incident, I closed my e-bay account down and have never used it since and I also changed all of my passwords and security information, both business and personal just to make sure. I believe that its not the event that causes the most hassle, but the stress that you feel from the fallout afterwards!

Steve

Collapse -
Been lucky upto now.

In reply to: Yes, and it was a pain in the ar*e!

But sensible surfing helps.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Ebay account was hacked.

I found out when I discovered several pieces of high priced electronic gear listed for sale.

Collapse -
Several points ...

Couple of off-the-cuff points come to mind:

1/ it helps if you shop with local retailers in a small country, like Switzerland : there are so many, and the open source online-shop packages included with hosting packages are quite well protected against hacking into in the first place.

2/ 'real' brick and mortar stores -where I carry the purchase home with me- do not really need my e-mail address, so don't get it.

3/ closing the account when you do not foresee a follow-on purchase looming would only help if your details were wiped, which most shops are reluctant to do.

4/ those who have a 'family domain' can assign a specific e-mail address to each shop, magazine and whatnot, change that once it becomes too spammy.

5/ those shop-specific addresses can easily be filtered to the correct family member or folder, or when compromised be set to fail with a customised message to sender.

6/ online services such a Gmail offer advantages: decent spam and virus filtering (so does my webhost!) , the freedom to change ISP w/o loosing your e-mail address, and access away from home (which can be a bane if you're not careful when logging in while away from home.

As always, these are the points which come to mind, the list is undoubtedly incomplete, some items may not apply to your specific situation : hence do your own research.

Hope this helps?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.