Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Have a safe and happy halloween, everyone

by MKay / October 31, 2004 12:49 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have a safe and happy halloween, everyone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have a safe and happy halloween, everyone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) How nice. Thank you, MKay, and the same to you.:-)
by W2X3XP / October 31, 2004 6:14 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thank you u2
by Mark5019 / October 31, 2004 7:01 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I had 14 little goblins. Too much left-over candy again
by crowsfoot / October 31, 2004 1:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) I had 14 little goblins. Too much left-over candy a
by Diane Harrison / October 31, 2004 2:00 PM PST

Hmm, you're lucky. I'm a trifle annoyed tonight. We live in what is perceived as a better sector of the town with pretty much a low income, gang territory at the base of the hill from us.

It was one thing when the families from the gang neighborhoods below came up the hill to trick-or-treat - fair enough, since that's still pretty much in the neighborhood. Admittedly, it was annoying when they would try to be thugs and reach into the bowl and take more than they were given (which was a lot to begin with) or they would demand "the big candy bars" (family sized) which were not the typical trick or treat candy any of us had purchased. But at least they lived around here and we knew who they were. The down side was that they were more willing to vandalize houses along the way.

But tonight, for the first time, huge carloads and vans, three or more at a time, would come up and spill out dozens of kids absolutely not from the neighborhood or anywhere even close. They were here to trick-or-treat in an area where someone decided they would get "better candy." Now, I mean a whole bunch of these "kids" were well into high school or older, and didn't even make any pretense at putting on a costume, just demanding candy in a pillow case or trash bag. We stopped counting after 100 - no clue how many were here altogether. I would hazard a guess that maybe five, at most were from this neighborhood, or even within a half mile of here.

I used to enjoy the little kids all dressed up. They'd come early in the evening with responsible parents bearing flashlights, and the parents would prompt them to say "thank you" so it made it a pleasant encounter for everyone.

But tonight we barely got any of the younger kids, and when we did, they were interspersed with ones old enough to drive them there. It was clearly a huge contest to get the most and best candy they possibly could, and some of their friends or parents were aiding and abetting in the pursuit by driving them over here.

What are these parents thinking to allow their kids to go collecting that much candy in strange neighborhoods they don't live in?!! It's taken on a whole new slant with these older kids invading like that. Had I not decided to be extra safe this year with "too much candy," we would have been long ago out of it, with our normal supply. As it is, it was about $60 USD worth of candy for all the kids from other places.

In the last few years, the churches and schools used to hold their own celebrations, to make sure the kids were safe. I guess maybe they feel safer coming here also, but Halloween sure is not what it used to be with 70% of the "kids" being strangers without costumes and over age 14.

Anyone else have similar type of activity where you are?

Collapse -
by crowsfoot / October 31, 2004 5:00 PM PST

Dang, Diane! That wasn't exactly a good old old-fashion Halloween. A bit offensive even. Sorry to hear it. Last year about 8 high-school kids showed up late and wiped me out with big laughy grabby hand fulls. One was a friend. I just held out the bowl and it was alright with me.

This year I bought 7 or 8 different kinds of Dollar-Store 10 packs of "fun size" chocolate bars for a buck apiece. One step up from bite size. All the ghoulies were very sweet. I'd say "Take two" and they'd search and consider all the possibilities before picking 'em. Two of the smallest kids, surprisingly, took three. If they didn't say thank you, I hollered Happy Halloween at 'em and they'd echo it back. There were 6 little black kids, 3 of them are my good buddies. 3 white kids, I know 'em all. And 5 latinos that I haven't meet. The only half side-ways comment was from a kid, maybe 13, who was surprised at the sign I have taped over the doorbell that says "Please Knock. No Bell." He wanted to know why no bell? Which is a good question I suppose. I DIDN'T say "Hell kid, I fix other peoples doorbells all day long and when I get home I don't feel like fixing another one! Anyhow, what you got against knocking?" Devil It was another a good joyful Halloween. I'm just lucky that way. Always have been.

Oh. Not to worry too much about my extra candy, hokay? Happy

Collapse -
by Diane Harrison / October 31, 2004 7:24 PM PST

You're right, Crowsfoot. That sure isn't the preferred way to have Halloween. I love having the little ones at the door, and really enjoy meeting new neighbors most days.

They have a lovely setup in Redlands, a city not far from here. The entire main street (all seven blocks LOL) opens up the shops all day long, and the kids in their costumes and their parents all go shop-to-shop, where the proprietors dress up in costume and hand out candy, and various other items, so it's even more of an adventure as to what the kids received in their trick-or-treat bag. The coin shop was even handing out coins and stamps!

It's tremendous fun for the all the parties involved, and it's great to watch. It gets all the candy and trick-or-treating out of the way before it is very dark (all done and over with by 6 p.m.), and everyone benefits. That's really the spirit of Halloween, I think. And no one is greedy enough to have pillowcases there, and all the parents teach their kids to say, "thank you, " so it's a community learning experience that benefits everyone.

I guess I'll simply never get over parents allowing their kids to run amok, and trying to garner as much candy as possible. The kids who bring three pillowcases to the door at the house, and say that they are collecting for their "sick' siblings, are very annoying. You know the likelihood is that they are lying about that. It's kind of like what Netsky said about the people begging on the streets for handouts. And those kids are usually also the ones who demand different candy than they are handed and get rather nasty if they are not allowed to choose others that they want (in great quantities, I might add). It all comes down to: where are the parents?

I guess it's just a reflection of overall society, where some parents really care and are involved,and others are simply too busy with their own concerns to even provide their children with manners and guidance. Or perhaps they have no manners themselves to be able to teach manners to their children. . . .

Collapse -
We forgot ...
by Evie / October 31, 2004 6:40 PM PST

... so we turned out the lights and hid out. Still, a couple of kids wandered up the dark walk and rang the bell anyway. Guess we were lucky to get away without getting our house egged. It seems that no matter what I plan for, the traffic is always the opposite. Years where we bought lots of candy, hardly anyone showed, years when we bought one bag "just in case", they've come in droves. The older kids really do bug me. They don't even go to the pretense of dressing up, and seem to feel entitled to as much candy as they can get their grubby paws around.

I have experienced something like Diane when I lived at my condo. It was a great place for T-or-T as the kids could hit many "homes" within rather short distances. It was enough to supply all the neighborhood kids, but one year van fulls of kiddies were dropped off from who-knows-where and it was extremely annoying to see all the faces I didn't even recognize Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -
3 here
by Cindi Haynes / October 31, 2004 11:40 PM PST

Hi Diane,

We had that type of Halloween when we lived in MI, where kids were "bussed" into the neighborhood. Of course, we also got the little kids with the cute costumes, and the older kids, but rarely any that didn't dress up. I always meted out the candy, so no one could just grab what they wanted. I was pretty generous!

This year, in NC, the city decided that trick-or-treating was to be on Saturday. We didn't get anyone. There are only about 2 kids of trick-or-treating age that live in the neighborhood, I suppose they went elsewhere. We did get T-or-T'ers on Sunday night (we weren't expecting any that day either!) They were 2 kids old enough to shave, (wearing camo and ski masks!) and a youngish girl holding a baby dressed as a pumpkin.

Many of the churches had Halloween parties around here. Our church had one and folks came early and stayed late. Took 'em an hour and a half to clean up afterward...whipped cream everywhere is what I heard!

I miss the old days too, but I'm guessing that many parents would take their kids to areas where they may get "safer" candy rather than "better" candy.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Re: Almost a 100 here.....
by Rolway / November 1, 2004 12:04 AM PST

Every year we buy enough for 100 Kids. This year we almost run out. Nothing left for me.:( It was a lotta fun and fantastic outfits. Don't know where all these kids come from, but it appears to be a pretty fertile neighborhood.

George

Collapse -
Thanks for the nice Halloween card...
by Blake Cook / October 31, 2004 3:39 PM PST

I spent a pleasant and uneventful night with a friend. She didn't have a single trick or treater this year so she has a bunch of candy to eat for weeks to come...

Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!