HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Have a Keylogger or some other type of virus.

by Hertz381 / June 23, 2010 7:28 AM PDT

I believe I have a keylogger or some other type of virus on my computer.

One of my youtube accounts has been hacked and the password changed. I think this was a keylogger because other people on youtube were getting hacked by this as well.

But then last night I was talking to some friends on skype (IM-ing) and my messages were getting delted, and edited, and I wasn't doing this. This makes me think he can see my screen and do whatever he wants. I'm not sure if a keylogger can do this.

Is there any way to track/remove this virus so I can get rid of it?

I currently don't have a virus software because my Norton expired so if someone could find a free one it would be helpful, because all the free ones I have found never worked.

I am on windows vista 32 bit, if that helps at all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have a Keylogger or some other type of virus.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have a Keylogger or some other type of virus.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: infection
by gargamel360 / June 23, 2010 8:52 AM PDT

There are several free anti-virus solutions you could try. Avast!, Avira, and AVG all have a free AV, available from their websites or from C-Net's download site.

Problem is, installing an anti-virus over top an existing infection. This can make the infection hard to find, or even make the AV not install correctly. While it is very important to get an anti-virus on your system yesterday, I would say at least run the free version of Malwarebytes first to try to get rid of any existing infection before you install whichever resident protection you choose.

Collapse -
Keylogger? Other Type of Virus?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

Hertz..

If I may, I'd like to work my way backwards, starting from where you wrote "I currently don't have a virus software because my Norton expired so if someone could find a free one it would be helpful, because all the free ones I have found never worked."

If you have found all of the free A/V software "never worked", it leads me to believe you may have set your expectations too high, as to what an A/V can (or cannot) do. Otherwise, you may want to start reviewing your "surfing and downloading habits". Many of the members use AntiVir and Avast and find themselves adequately protected. There are other's. Let us know which ones didn't work for you.

I can't help but add one more thing. Some members feel an A/V doesn't work because "it never finds anything". If that happens to be what you meant, please disregard what I wrote above. This would be a separate issue.

With all considered, I would suggest starting by installing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and/or SUPERAntiSpyware. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can be downloaded from here or (directly) from here. SUPERAntiSpyware FREE Edition from here.

Read what YouTube has to offer in the way of help: My account was hacked

Let us know how you make out..
Carol

Collapse -
free antivirus
by misteryozotech2 / June 23, 2010 9:57 AM PDT

There are a lot of FREE antivirus out there like AVG or Malwarebytes.

Collapse -
Slight error
by gargamel360 / June 23, 2010 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: free antivirus

Technically, Malwarebytes is not an AV, neither the free or paid versions, such as McAfee,Norton,Avast!,Bitdefender,MSE, etc.

Yes, it can clean a many different infections very well, and activly shield your pc in the case of the paid edition. But it last I checked, it does not fit all that defines "what is an AV?".

Good additional layer of defense (one of the best) but not suitable as your main, staple security prog.
The main reason? No rootkit scan/remove.

Maybe its spitting hairs but I thought it was an important hair to split.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.