HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Have a favorite? have a suggestion? I scream, you scream

by Roger NC / February 24, 2006 8:59 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Have a favorite? have a suggestion? I scream, you scream
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Have a favorite? have a suggestion? I scream, you scream
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't care for Ben & Jerry...
by EdH / February 24, 2006 9:06 AM PST

And I don't care for Ben & Jerry's. Edie's or Turkey Hill is nice.

I like Chocolate, Starbucks Coffee flavor, Strawberry, Peach, Pistachio.

What I don't like is ice cream with junk added--cookie dough, nut clusters, peanut butter cups. I'll tolerate swirls or chocolate chips.

My daughter brought home Party Cake Ice Cream. It's like they jammeed a birthday cake into the box, icing and all. It's just not natural!

Collapse -
Re swirls or chocolate chips
by Roger NC / February 24, 2006 9:14 AM PST

I always did like to occasionally get the fudge swirled into vanilla ice cream.

Once I bought some 'tin roof sundae' to try. It's basically the fudge swirl in vanilla PLUS chocolate covered peanuts scatter though it.

Sounded weird, tasted great.

I don't really know Ben and Jerry or their ice cream, the link was sent to me and just passing the weirdness of some of the selections along.

As far as adding the cookie dough, nut clusters (maybe ok for me), and other things, to each his own I guess. I do like Reeses Peanut butter cups occasionally.

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I thought Ben & Jerry's was national...
by EdH / February 24, 2006 9:37 AM PST

maybe not. They are libs from Vermont and are known for flavors with funny hippy names like "Cherry Garcia". It's not that their ice cream isn't good, it's just overpriced and not primo.

I have nothing against Reese's peanut butter cups; it's just that if a thing is good it should be good on its own. If I want peanut butter cups I'll have them on the side.

I don't want to confuse my taste buds with contradictory flavors. It's like the burger thread. I'd rather not junk up my food. I've had the Tin Roof stuff. Perfect example of ruined ice cream IMHO.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Clarify, I know of Ben&Jerry, no personal experience
by Roger NC / February 24, 2006 9:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Many are quite tasty ...
by Evie / February 24, 2006 9:40 AM PST

... but dangerous if you have any sensitive teeth!

I'm spoiled by a couple of local creameries in the area so the last time I bought store ice cream was probably over a year ago!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I was there:)
by Glenda / February 24, 2006 12:02 PM PST

The BEST Ice Cream I have EVER had:)
Sue

Collapse -
I was supporting a habit
by Steven Haninger / February 24, 2006 9:43 AM PST

of at least 2 gallons a week most of which was Edys or Breyers when it would be on a 2 fer sale at Krogers. "Botique" types, as I would call them, were not affordable at my consumption rate. That had to come to a screaming halt after I had a cholesterol test. It was cold turkey or die! I agree that cookie dough wasn't a favorite but I liked some of the candy bar flavors..Heath, Butterfinger, etc. Anything with chunks of chocolate was also good as were some of the mint types. When I know my time is at hand, I know I'll fall off the wagon and it will be a hard landing. Happy

Collapse -
Toffee chips :)))
by Glenda / February 24, 2006 12:03 PM PST

Yummy!!! Hungry yet??? Devil

Collapse -
Never will I be tempted to cheat
by Steven Haninger / February 24, 2006 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: Toffee chips :)))

just because something is sweet. Happy

Collapse -
I tried;)
by Glenda / February 24, 2006 1:17 PM PST

Hard isn't it? I was feeding a family of 5 plus Jim and myself and that was really hard!!!! No one wanted to eat what I had too so I fixed two meals every night!
Not much sense in paying for meds if you don't follow the diet! Good Luck:)

Collapse -
Dratted doctor fussing about my cholesterol, too low that is
by Roger NC / February 24, 2006 12:14 PM PST

My overall is fine, maybe not very best, but good.

My LDL ('bad') cholesterol is ok, again not perfect but acceptable.

But my HDL ('good') cholesterol is too low, so he wants me on pills.

They just ain't happy if you're not taking something every day are they. Maybe they all get commissions from the drug industry.

By all I have read so far, the HDL reading is low, but I'm not convinced it's low enough or threatening enough to go on daily meds yet.

I love the way the websites put it. Low HDL is now considered an independent risk for heart disease even if overall levels are good.

They find out that it all ain't bad for you, and immediately decide (again) that more is better. Ok, so before it was less (or more lower?) was always better, now it's both less is better and more is better.

They keep changing rules no one will believe anything.

Roger

Collapse -
what's your HDL??
by Glenda / February 24, 2006 12:18 PM PST

Mine is 26!! The Doctor is having fits as he said I am primed for a heart attack!! I told him no way, I GIVE heart attacks I don't get them:) Just ask any of my old bosses:) MY bad cholesterol was 377 and my and Trigycerides was 177 Sad I was on the diest for a year and brought it down 100 points, But I bet it is way up there again:( I just won't do the damned tests again:)

Collapse -
Too bad we can't work a trade
by Steven Haninger / February 24, 2006 1:06 PM PST

My HDL is sky high and my LDL is considered above the "action limit" range. I think red wine (or any alcohol for that matter) consumed moderately combined with exercise is supposed to bring up your HDL. For some reason men tend to run lower than women. I guess the target is about 60...or maybe a little less but 40 is not good. I run 90 HDL with medication higher without it. Makes no sense to me taking something that lowers the "good" cholesterol as much as the bad. Perhaps if you went jogging a few times a week and carried a water bottle full of a hearty burgandy that might help your heart....might also cause you to fall under the wheels of a bus.:)

Collapse -
From what I've read so far, and
by Roger NC / February 25, 2006 2:43 AM PST

taken with (or should that be without?) a grain of salt, 40 for HDL is the approximate lower limit they want to see.

The general consenus from reading a bit online

Less than 200 total is ok, less is even better.

HDL greater than 40.

LDL less that a 100 ideal, up to 140 ok.

I'm 189 total, 34 HDL, 126 LDL.

So the total is ehhhh, the LDL is ehhhhhhhhh, the HDL is low.

I guess a good goal would be 140 with HDL 40 and LDL 100? Of course, the drug companies are now touting studies that basically say the lower the better as far as LDL. They want you taking the drug even if your levels are half the recommended maximums, just for your money. And doctors (or perhaps it should be the clinics themselves rather than individual doctors?) want you on maintenance drugs so they can drag you in to the office more often for checkups (and for office fees).

I'll talk with the doc, and do some reading (maybe drink some red wine? Devil ) but I'm a bit hesitant right now.

Although I do remember reading an article years ago that the variety of grapes around here, even tho technically white or blush not red, have as high levels of the various suspected beneficial elements as most reds. That's was referring to the Scuppernong grapes. Hey, they sell a (grocery store level classification) Scuppernong red around here, that should give me double the good stuff.

Drinking is a funny thing for me, none is fine, but a little is hard to do. And I perfer straight bourbon on ice to wine. And since alcohol and especially wine seem to aggravate the severity and frequency of her migraine headaches, we generally don't keep any around the house anymore.

Although I do remember reading an article years ago that the variety of grapes around here, even tho technically white or blush not red, have as high levels of the various suspected beneficial elements as most reds. That's was referring to the Scuppernong grapes. Hey, they sell a (grocery store level classification) Scuppernong red around here, that should give me double the good stuff.

Interesting point for anyone else with migraine problems. Recently there seems to a stengthening link between sleep apnea and worsening migraines for people that suffer from them. My wife was referred to sleep stufy because her migraines have been worse lately.

Roger

Collapse -
Roger!
by Evie / February 24, 2006 10:08 PM PST
Collapse -
And that link says 35 to 40, which puts me at
by Roger NC / February 25, 2006 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Roger!

borderline with 34.

But various pages seem to have a consenus of 40 for a minimum.

I know I don't excercise enough, but for me that's the nature of the beast, it's a struggle to force myself into regular excercise.

And with age and worsening knees, it's even more difficult. I've been large and tended to inactive hobbies, reading, tv, computers, etc.

Roger

Collapse -
My favorite Ice cream is Thrifty's
by Glenda / February 24, 2006 12:01 PM PST

we have it at a local water store, we used to get it at Thrifty Drug stores. In Novemeber and December they have Pumpkin Ice Cream, Better than the pie any day:)
When the kids were little they could get 3 dip cones for 10 cents a dip vs Baskin Robbins at a 1$ a dip:(
We spent a lot of summer afternoons getting Ice Cream:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I wish Dreyer's made double-churned light Chunky Monkey
Collapse -
as Henry Ford said
by jonah jones / February 25, 2006 2:45 AM PST

any taste, as long as it's chocolate....

Collapse -
Unfortunately ..........
by MarciaB / February 25, 2006 3:58 AM PST

... I does be one of "them there folks" that doesn't really like ice cream. Not a real sweet tooth at all - but before y'all attack, I like EVERYTHING else (pretty much), so I make up for it Wink

'Bout the only way I will have an occasional scoop (maybe once a year, or so) is an old-fashioned strawberry ice cream soda (hard to find a place that makes them correctly anymore), or a Root Beer float made with A&W Root Beer.

Collapse -
Me too, Marcia
by Cindi Haynes / February 25, 2006 8:23 AM PST

I'm not much into sweet stuff, either. Cake is probably the only exception. German chocolate, or maybe yellow cake w/chocolate frosting.

Cindi

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.