Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

have a dodgey xp

by mamichae1 / March 27, 2006 10:02 PM PST

I would like to remove the xp and install a new xp with proper back up. how do I do it with the least difficulties is a new system

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: have a dodgey xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: have a dodgey xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why work so hard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2006 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: have a dodgey xp

If I type CHANGE XP CD KEY into google.com I see Microsoft supplies a method to change it to your new key. You can side step a wall of bullets from that fresh install and finding all those drivers...

Bob

Collapse -
sounds good
by mamichae1 / March 30, 2006 6:24 PM PST
In reply to: Why work so hard.

sorry but I am not computer literate and thats why I got the system build has anyone tried it out and does it work

Collapse -
For those that can't understand the article...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2006 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: sounds good

I offered many so you can move from one to the other till you find one you like.

If you thing changing the CDKEY is hard, no offense but reinstalling is harder.

Bob

Collapse -
We need more info please
by retired / March 27, 2006 10:15 PM PST

Is this homemade, factory built, make, model, Etc.

Collapse -
Why?
by joesmithers06 / March 27, 2006 10:38 PM PST

None of that info has any bearing on reinstalling XP, save maybe setting the system up to boot from CD if it isn't already. All you need to know is that it meets the requirements of running XP and it has a working CD-ROM. Beyond that, it doesn't matter at all what the particular arrangement of hardware is.

Collapse -
Thanks for the slam JOE
by retired / March 27, 2006 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: Why?

It does make a difference on the procedure to install/re-install an OS depending on if it has Factory recovery disks or a full install OS/CD, please do not post such a reply because you do know where I am going with this, Thanks.

Collapse -
Not really
by joesmithers06 / March 28, 2006 12:54 AM PST

It's still a matter of putting the disc in the drive, rebooting, and following instructions.

And you can pretty much rule out there being factory supplied discs if they're thinking their existing copy is illegal. If the system came with XP, it would have a license for it, and there wouldn't be an issue.

Finally, it wasn't meant as a "slam". It was meant to help keep you from wasting yours, and others, time asking questions that have no bearing on the issue at hand. Your vehicle is out of gas let's say. Does someone asking if its a car, truck or SUV help solve the problem of being out of gas? Or whether it's a 4-cyl, V6 or V8 engine? Does the wheel size make any difference? So, after walking a couple of miles to a gas station, does the clerk asking you this as you pay help you at all?

Collapse -
Valid questions. For example... Diesal fuel?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: Not really

While you may expect the person fetching fuel to know what to get... such is not always true.

-> Asking for more details is a good thing.

Bob

Collapse -
Unlikely
by joesmithers06 / March 28, 2006 3:53 AM PST

Since you pretty much have to seek out a diesel vehicle these days, you should know whether or not that's what you have. Especially since not just any gas station will carry diesel, so unless this is the first time driving the car and you aren't tipped off by the loudness of the engine compared to gasoline engines, it would require an incredibly daft person not to know. Not to say there aren't plenty of dumb bints out there who'd qualify, it's just unlikely.

Moral of the story being, there comes a point when additional details won't help. They might even hinder progress being made. In this case, knowing the make and model of the system will do nothing to advance the "cause", but it does waste time. There are plenty of cases where this isn't true, but this isn't one of them, and pretending like it is won't change that fact. Now, since we're all wasting even more time discussing it, I'll do my part and stop here and now if you lot does.

Collapse -
But that isn't the case here.
by chuckieu / March 28, 2006 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: Unlikely

This could be a Dell, HP, Compaq, etc they bought from someone and didn't get a transferred disc. Drivers may be a concern. More info (even if unnecessary) is never a bad thing. In this case it may be relevant. Appreciate the concern, but if we don't have the time to waste, we won't answer. chuck

Collapse -
Why ..... an example
by billzhills / March 28, 2006 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

Client brought in his system that would not boot. BSOD do to Hardware missing. This issue started after he performed a back up recovery from an external device.

This was a full system back-up ..... from his laptop. Took me about 20 mins to figure this out in conversation with him. Another 20 mins to convence him why you can't do this.

If I had not taken the time to find out exactlly what he did my repair proceedures would have been incorrect. I've found that their is never too much information. Each piece given sheds a little more light on the issue. In this case knowing the system is important to correctly give the information on how to re-install.

Bill

Collapse -
have a dodgey xp
by mamichae1 / March 28, 2006 3:08 PM PST

Its a home built by a friend all new parts

Collapse -
What do you mean by dodgy?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 6:46 PM PST

If there is a system failure with it, can you explain more of the symptoms?

If you mean that it is a copy of XP and you want to install an authentic version of XP, have you tried Bob Proffitt's idea?

Mark

Collapse -
not comp literate
by mamichae1 / March 30, 2006 6:37 PM PST

has anyone used it unfortnately not very literate computer wise.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You didn't answer my questions.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2006 7:18 PM PST
In reply to: not comp literate
Collapse -
Two Links
by billzhills / March 30, 2006 8:33 PM PST

from Retired

from Toni

Luck

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.