Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

hate new format for C NET

by bently / November 10, 2006 5:21 AM PST

Go back to the old format for this forum, what I am seeing here...totally terrible!!

Ben

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hate new format for C NET
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hate new format for C NET
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IMHO when you get to understand
by Ray Harinec / November 10, 2006 6:48 AM PST

all of the variations and capabilities that the new software provides you be apologizing for many days.

Please allow a little time for the majority of bugs to be removed and then do a little reading on how to use the features.

Are you aware that one of the thread formats is not very different from the ealier version.

Collapse -
In the upper left hand
by PudgyOne / November 10, 2006 7:29 AM PST

corner, change the forum display to tree view, and it will be just like before.

Rick

Collapse -
Tree view...
by bently / November 10, 2006 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: In the upper left hand

did it.

The flat view on my screen was around 25 lines with one or two of various UNKNOWN characters.

Had to scroll down couple of pages to find thread. Even then it was funky???

To me tree view is better.

Thanks

Ben

Collapse -
New format is horrible
by rmcarl / November 10, 2006 10:54 AM PST

I totally agree with anyone that says to chuck the new format. Go back to the old!

Collapse -
reply to: New format is horrible
by SFAQL / November 10, 2006 2:10 PM PST
In reply to: New format is horrible

Hi All,
I am having a real problem with eye strain.After reading about 15 posts, I can,t bear it any longer.I have to alternate with other forums to give my eyes a rest. My opinion is there is too much white.Washed out look,Don,t like all the posts not lining up.Not a definate bright enough border around the posts also.The posts seem to blend into one another.I am happy with the posts in succession.I would hope Lee would take into consideration that not all of us have brilliant eyesight.This was not an issue with the old site.The point I'm making is how come us members are subjected to all this,when Bleeping Computer and Castle Cops for example can get it so right and your programmers,LEE can get it so wrong."IMHO"
I posted these constructive comments in "speakeasy" without one reply.
Would have been more sense to post it on some toilet wall, all the good it done.
DOUG.

Collapse -
One reply...
by John.Wilkinson / November 10, 2006 2:45 PM PST

The background of the forums has not actually changed...it was plain white before. The only difference in that regard is that we no longer have the dark green and yellow columns down the sides. Since that is more or less a Cnet-wide change I doubt there is much that Lee and the engineers can do...the decision came down from the top.

The borders, however, are another matter. Personally I don't have a problem with it as I see the alternating between green and white as nicely done. I imagine that it would be simple enough to adjust if it's what the majority wanted, though.

I know it's not a congressional letter, but I felt you deserved a reply. (Sorry, I rarely visit SE.) Just keep in mind that Lee is not the ultimate power, so while he does what he can for us (ex: he quickly had the font color changed from light grey to black after members began requesting it) he does not deserve the blame for what he cannot control.

John

Collapse -
Reply to John Wilkinson.
by SFAQL / November 10, 2006 3:15 PM PST
In reply to: One reply...

Thanks so much for your reply,John.You have explained it well.
Now I know LEE is not all to blame,I will put him back on my christmas list."LOL"
The alternating colour in the posts are great.A darker green border around the posts would be excellent, and stop the posts blending into one another so much.When I submitted the last post, it had a darker border around it, and it disappeared.All in all the changes are great,
just need a little tweaking in my opinion.I will clean my "coke bottle lenses" and keep on truckin as they say.
Kind Regards.
Doug.

Collapse -
Try the tree view
by PudgyOne / November 10, 2006 6:51 PM PST

It shows only one message at a time, hust like the old forum did.

Rick

Collapse -
I switch between Tree and Threaded...
by Owyn / November 10, 2006 7:02 PM PST

views frequently.

e.g. I just looked at the relatively long bugs topic and used Tree view to scan for new messages. When I had finished with that topic and started to read this topic I switched to Threaded so I could read all of the messages at once.

Not sure why Flat view is supported. The gain in text on the page is more than offset by the loss of threading info.

Collapse -
reply to: I switch between Tree and Threaded...
by SFAQL / November 10, 2006 8:14 PM PST

Thanks to you Rick and Owyn for your tips.
Just found the tree and threaded button.
I pressed the Permalink Button and can see much better with the thick
border around the post.
All I need now is an EDIT button so I can delete something I post on the spur of the moment, and then wished I hadn't said it,if you get my drift.LOL.
Thanks to both of you.
Doug.

Collapse -
I just checked....
by bently / November 10, 2006 10:34 PM PST

Tree View, Threaded View, and Flat View.

Today, they all look great to me.

When I wrote the first post here, the flat view was really scrambled (weird symbols) and really a bad display.

Today, they all looks GREAT! (also did not know of options to change view)

Ben

Collapse -
To delete relatively easily
by Ray Harinec / November 10, 2006 11:22 PM PST

use "Report an Offensive Post" and simply request that your post be removed. Due to the fact that you are the author they will do it.

Maybe John or Lee can comment on this. At one time I heard that top management did not want to see a lot of Offensive post mesages. If that is true then using this method to delete may be bad practice, although I do it infrequently. I goof frequently but only delete the goofs infrequently, LOL.

Collapse -
That's the only way...
by John.Wilkinson / November 11, 2006 1:29 AM PST

While you should always try to avoid that being necessary and the requests are not always granted (ie there are a number of responses) it's the only way of getting rid of a mistaken post. Just make sure you're logged in as yourself when you make the request...no fake IDs allowed. Happy

In regards to limiting the alerts, I don't think anyone wants to see a significant number of them because they indicate problems. (Ideally no one would ever have to use the alert system.) From what I've been told the main issue centered around SE, which at one point Lee sent an open warning to stating that if they didn't keep it in line the forum may be closed. (TPTB had grown weary of seeing dozens of alerts from the lone forum every day.) The SE mods prefer if you use their Yahoo e-mail address so that the rest of us are not overloaded with alerts. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it, though.

John

Collapse -
Thanx, I was aware of the SE issue
by Ray Harinec / November 11, 2006 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: That's the only way...

read the warning there by Lee Koo, that's why I asked. I never post in SE, but do look at it to see the battles. LOL

Collapse -
reply to: That's the only way...
by SFAQL / November 11, 2006 2:18 PM PST
In reply to: That's the only way...

John,I don't think you read my previous post "11" properly.I am aware of the "report offensive posts"button.I said having an edit button at my disposal would be great if I wished to remove a paragraph or so,or even to add a line if I happened to forget first up.An example of this is at BC where you are given 24 hrs to edit your own post.At the bottom of your post it says that you yourself have edited your own post at a given time.
I feel better when some of you admitted you didn't know initially how to change from threaded to tree."LOL"At least I know now I wasn't all on my lonesome.Appreciate all members who have helped me through this initial learning curve.Well done.
DOUG.

Collapse -
I read it...
by John.Wilkinson / November 11, 2006 11:31 PM PST

But the ability for members to edit and even delete their own posts has been shot down numerous times in the past by Lee and TPTB due to all the misuse that would come with it. (Click here for the Lee's explanation and here for specific situations that would inevitably arise, particularly in SE and BOL.) Thus, while it may be the most requested feature right behind the now-implemented Forum View options (glad you found it Happy ) it won't be coming anytime soon. On a related note, the mods don't have the ability to edit posts, their own or those of others, so all requests must go through Lee.

John

Collapse -
Tree View
by rgfitz / November 11, 2006 9:17 AM PST

New format looks fine to me after I finally noticed "Forum Display" and changed to Tree View.

I think it looks nice, clean, and up-to-date...just like IE7.

Collapse -
hate the new cnet
by katee29 / October 17, 2011 2:08 PM PDT

i am accosted by sounds and pictures that jolt my nerves that cannot be deleted and in addition cannot find the normal way to download software. totally hate this new format and am sad to say will not use cnet again. what a tragedy. it was such a dependable website for such a long time. good bye cnet

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.