HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

HATE in America today

by James Denison / September 8, 2014 1:44 PM PDT
When will we bring an end to this?

"According to Memphis police, the group emerged from a restaurant in
the same strip mall and immediately attacked a 25-year-old man as he
left his car in the parking lot and headed for the grocery store.

Two grocery store employees ran to the man's aide, and the black mob
attacked them as well, brutally beating all three victims into
unconsciousness.

Police report that the crowd of up to 20 teens were laughing and yelling "fan mob."

All three victims were treated on the scene and refused transportation to the hospital.

Video taken by customers
on the scene attest to the viciousness of the attack. It shows
screaming, joking, laughing black members of the mob attacking and
kicking a white Kroger employee lying immobile on the ground.

Memphis Police Department Director Toney Armstrong released a
statement on Sunday morning, making no mention of a possible hate crime. "
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HATE in America today
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HATE in America today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is everywhere, not just here.
by Diana Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: HATE in America today

There was a question on Facebook a while back. If you could get rid of one thing in the world, what would it be. I said hate.

Diana

Collapse -
Bible's on your side. Acts 10, esp 34,35.
by drpruner / September 9, 2014 3:46 AM PDT

How's the Ephesians coming?
A question for your study leader: Did his church engage in the worldwide mutual hatred of nominal Christians in the World Wars?

Collapse -
We made it to chapter 3.
by Diana Forum moderator / September 9, 2014 11:15 AM PDT

I was born during WWII. I've heard a lot of stories about countries turning away Jews (like this one) but not about nominal Christians.

I've heard that, after the Soviet Union broke up, several different denominations came into the countries and totally confused the Christians in those countries. Is that the type of thing you are talking about?

Diana

Collapse -
The major combatants in WWI
by drpruner / September 10, 2014 8:32 AM PDT

and in WWII (saving the Japanese) were "Christian" countries. Why did their religious leaders not interfere? In many of those countries the political leaders take their oaths on Bibles. Why did they not interfere with themselves?
Very few had the courage to acknowledge this paradox; even fewer did in fact oppose it. Most of those went to prison or execution. In fact, far from interfering, the mainstream religions supplied chaplains to encourage the troops of each country to fight against troops of the other country, even though of the same "Christian" religion. They supply chaplains down to this day, in readiness for... what?
You wrote, "There was a question on Facebook a while back. If you could get rid of one thing in the world, what would it be. I said hate." The Bible gives logical, satisfactory answers to this and many other questions. One scripture that applies here is John 13:34,35; what if the churches adopted that as a guide?
Try these also: Lev 19:17; Ps 97:10; 1 John 2:9; 4:20.
We're told to pray as at Mt 6:9,10. What if that prayer were answered? Would that solve your problem?

Collapse -
Just because it comes up on the news doesn't mean we need to
by Rob_Boyter / September 9, 2014 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: HATE in America today

see it here on SE. This is a story I'd have avoided and certainly wouldn't have posted because it is divisive and stirs up animosity regarding something we can not do anything about.

"Sell crazy some where else, we're full up here", ?Jack Nicholson from As Good As It Gets?

No offence, James. It's just that we all deal with so much of this each day that avoiding wallowing in it seems to me to be a very good idea.

Rob

Collapse -
There is more to come.
by drpruner / September 10, 2014 8:33 AM PDT

Much more. Get used to it, or find a way out.

Collapse -
As a casual visitor here
by itsdigger / September 10, 2014 8:47 AM PDT

I'd have to observe that most subjects posted here in SE are about something we can not do anything about but, that never stops the debates.

What makes this post different ,
We're all just observers anyway....

Digger

Collapse -
Good comment but I might want to add
by Steven Haninger / September 10, 2014 9:37 AM PDT

that we can't do anything about it because we're looking for someone else to fix it by our making trips to the ballot box. That hasn't worked in a long time.

Collapse -
Time for a revolt than ?
by itsdigger / September 10, 2014 9:54 AM PDT

Oust the elected officials and install new ? It wouldn't matter anyway , as soon as a government gets comfy, they pick up where the last left off. Everything becomes a secret again and than ,something happens like oh ... the U.S is bombing xyz country for xyz reason. So we talk and debate it but, we still can't do anything about it.

Just like the Missouri riots, we couldn't do anything about that either but we debated.
So this thread is no different than any other, hate is debated here a lot in different fashions.

Digger

Collapse -
What would happen if
by drpruner / September 10, 2014 11:45 AM PDT

God's kingdom were to be established on earth
as it is in Heaven?

As someone once said.
Would that 'do something about it'?

Collapse -
Bring it on
by itsdigger / September 10, 2014 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: What would happen if

Seem's like a lot of folk are trying to start a new kingdom on earth. ISIS , Russia, the Taliban, Christians, Muslims ..... Let's see who wins and than we can have another debate...

Digger

Collapse -
Hmm, maybe
by James Denison / September 10, 2014 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Bring it on

Maybe God will finally get jealous and decide He's had enough of what goes on down here. In Eden, Man wanted to become like God. There's been quite a few men who put themselves up as a God. So far, man has failed to become God.

Collapse -
Down Here?
by itsdigger / September 11, 2014 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm, maybe

If God is everywhere all at once and all encompassing, there shouldn't be an up or down or left or right, for Him, there is just there. Wink For us there is an up and down because of gravity and left and right because of the magnetic poles.

Here we go.... Devil
Digger

Collapse -
If God is everywhere?
by Steven Haninger / September 11, 2014 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Down Here?

He's got nothing on the tax man.

Collapse -
I'll let you find it
by James Denison / September 11, 2014 4:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
J.R.R. Tolkien Spun a good yarn too.
by itsdigger / September 11, 2014 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll let you find it

So did Krishna and Budda and the Jews.

I love a great story...
Digger

Collapse -
I'm here
by James Denison / September 11, 2014 7:46 AM PDT

but also at home. So, maybe the "spirit" comes into play in all that?

Collapse -
Maybe
by itsdigger / September 11, 2014 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm here

What a big word !
What it boils down to is you have your beliefs and, who am I to tell you they're wrong ? Who are you to tell me I'm wrong ? Prove it ..

Just because someone wrote something doesn't make it truth...We'll all find out in the end .
Right now,... Live your life and be happy with what'cha have .

I don't hate anyone because they believe what they believe, but that's whats been going on for thousands of years and it's all just based on belief, not fact...

Digger

Collapse -
fact vs fiction and testimony
by James Denison / September 11, 2014 8:23 AM PDT

there would have to be a lot of liars in agreement across centuries about what they'd seen and heard as facts for it to all be fiction. Anyway, as I've always said, God's existence depends on no man's belief, nor negated by their disbelief.

Collapse -
I never called anyone a liar
by itsdigger / September 11, 2014 8:49 AM PDT

I believe that they believe! I really do!
I'm good with it ? I'll even sit down a chat about it, eagerly comparing beliefs.

But I'll never figure out why someone has to get their head lobbed off or crucified over what Might be some alien from another planet .
Imagine us , you and I landing on another planet that is not at all technologically advanced .
We'd be looked at as God's

I believe that the ancient folks believed these saviors and such were God !

I just don't get the part where there's supposed to be wars over that belief , no matter if it's Christian or Muslim or Krishna or Buddhism. This all comes back to the Hate conversation.

Digger

Collapse -
Hey, digger, leave James alone!
by drpruner / September 11, 2014 10:19 AM PDT

He's mine to mess with! Happy

Collapse -
Sound reply. Many have signed off
by drpruner / September 11, 2014 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Bring it on

on the world's religions because of their bad behavior.
But my question was, "Would [God's kingdom] 'do something about it'"?
To answer that you would have to read the Book, but that's something you like to do anyway, right?
("I love a great story... Digger)

Collapse -
Sure, Why not ?
by itsdigger / September 11, 2014 10:59 AM PDT

As long as I can read it on a 32 in. screen , it's written in So. Side English , and it's not any longer than a short story from Reader's Digest ... I have a very short attention span Silly

Digger

Collapse -
You could start here:
by drpruner / September 12, 2014 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure, Why not ?
http://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/
A useful subhead here: http://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/ ; read any or all under it.
Note that these are short articles, with audio. You can read/listen online or download for later.
This addresses one of your earlier comments:
http://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/world-peace-elusive/
You can learn about Jehovah's aims here: http://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/what-gods-kingdom-will-do/
Read the claims, notice how far-fetched they are, then investigate deeper. And note the "Related Questions" on the right of each page. Go as deeply into a subject as you want to.
Our main tool these days is the Bible workbook What Does the Bible Really Teach?
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/
As with any study course, we recommend starting at the beginning, but we also ask folks to pick a chapter title that interests them and start with that.
Batteries not included. No salesman will call.
Collapse -
hrmph.
by itsdigger / September 13, 2014 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: You could start here:

You guy's can lay all this he said stuff on me all you want but everything you asked me to read is just a rewrite of an older culture , everything in the OT was said before by older cultures. Maybe to make it interesting the writer put in some plagues or a staff and a guy that stutters or whatever but nothing about Exodus that I've read make me believe it's true , It is a great story though.... there's been a bunch of ressurections, virgin births , and saviors.

Recently, Obama was the new savior... and Lake Erie was RED , Did Moses make a little impromptu visit ? I don't believe that either
Who's the next savior to be put in place ?
There's A bunch of folks riding the fence these days . Get off of it and join the real world

Stop being a back door preacher and grow some balls and stand up because we live in reality, today...not 2000 year ago faiery tales

Digger

Collapse -
I'd not get too caught up in the crossfire
by Steven Haninger / September 13, 2014 7:06 PM PDT
In reply to: hrmph.

between folks lobbing bits of scripture back and forth. I call that as making about as much sense as having a snowball fight. Each person just picks up handfuls of snow and tosses it at the other until the ground shows beneath it and both are still standing. Then, the move to another area where there's plenty of snow and start the battle again. Nothing gets accomplished and neither competitor learns anything more about snow than they knew before. It's much better to look at the larger picture than to view each section with a magnifying glass. The later finds you discovering places where the paint didn't dry just right and gets you distracted from the artist's objective. My two cents.

Collapse -
Is that what Jesus did
by James Denison / September 13, 2014 10:26 PM PDT

when He quoted scripture? Remember "It is written...."

Collapse -
James....Yes, Jesus referenced scripture, but,
by Steven Haninger / September 14, 2014 12:52 AM PDT

I don't see anywhere "it is written" that Jesus engaged contests of wits that involved volleys of scripture being tossed back and forth in a game of one-upmanship.

I see we've come to the forum limit so I'll not want to continue the subject here.

Collapse -
That was Paul's method.
by drpruner / September 15, 2014 12:16 PM PDT

The point of reading a "scripture"- a verse, a chapter- is to see if it is true. That means that my behavior should be changed by reading it, if I previously lived by a false idea.
One example is comparing Ps 37:29 with the common belief that 'the good go to heaven and the bad go to hell'. It says, "The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it."
Let's reason on it. "live forever" means no death, therefore a deathless future. (Certainly not our present!)
What kind of people? "righteous". Most of would say that means 'good people', and that ain't the half of it. In context it means righteous by Jehovah's standards.
What is their reward for being found righteous? Life on earth.
Any confirmation from the rest of the Bible? Thousands of places. One of them is here: "Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth". The speaker is one whom billions call their God- but it seems they don't pay attention to him.
So, Steve, what do you think? Is it possible that a Christian can look forward to life on earth forever? Remember, it's just a verse or two. And don't forget these objections: 'It's just in the OT.' 'Christianity has a different system.' 'That 's in your JW bible.'

Collapse -
"everything in the OT was said before by older cultures."
by drpruner / September 15, 2014 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: hrmph.

A common belief, but not supported by history. I'm sorry you won't take the time to investigate for yourself.
Some have: "Immediately by night the brothers sent both Paul and Silas to Beroea. On arriving, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so." Acts 17.
And these folks had more reason to reject Paul's teaching. They were observant Jews, to whom Paul's religion was apostasy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.