Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Has there been a fix developed for Outlook 'Not terminating'

Started noticing this a week or so ago, first one machine, then another, and now two more- close Outlook 2003 by the 'X'in the u/r corner and it stays resident in task manager, as many times as the user opens and closes Outlook. Terminate by 'File>Exit' and it truly stops and goes away. Did some searching and found lots of others with same bug. Clean systems, behind good firewall (Hardware), A/V scanned daily, spyware clean, etc. One of them only ever gets connected to internet a couple of times a week. Considering a Nuke and reload on one of them not heavily utilized. Any more clues? I tried reloading Office after a full remove and reboot. No change. TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has there been a fix developed for Outlook 'Not terminating'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has there been a fix developed for Outlook 'Not terminating'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have ActiveSync or any PDA software installed?

In reply to: Has there been a fix developed for Outlook 'Not terminating'

As to a solid fix, I never found it. Worth a call to Microsoft but if you have PDAs the issue seems to happen more often.

Bob

Collapse -
No active sync

In reply to: Do you have ActiveSync or any PDA software installed?

or pda's or blackberry / ipod like stuff- it seems if Microsoft had a fix, there would be a ton of posts all over the help sites, because there are sure a lot of people having this rodent. (It is fun to speed up a users computer when they complain about slow and freezing-make them look the other way and close the ten or so 'Outlooks'-pow, all better and didn't even reboot.)

Collapse -
McAfee was implicated too.

In reply to: No active sync

The list is the usuals from the PST backup program, McAfee (others too!), Winfax, etc.

Think over ANY item that interacts with OL.

Bob

Collapse -
No Mcafee

In reply to: McAfee was implicated too.

-One box has Computer Assoc AV (only AV none of the rest of the security suite) another has AVG, and another had Symantec Corp. 10.xx.
I'm going to nuke and repave the AVG one tomorrow and reinstall Office, see if it does it after install, or after MS updates..

Collapse -
Saturday project

In reply to: No Mcafee

Nuke and reload, full-clean XP Pro from the original CD, install Symantec corp, all MS patches, save a ghost on second partition of what you might call "Day One" no wierdness, then installed office, set up my account, checked mail sveral times, Outlook always fully closes- ran MS Office updater from MS update as opposed to Windows update- somewhere after MS Office SP2 the behavior returned, sooo- I'm next going to go back and try updating piece by piece without using the SP's maybe indentify the exact patch. At one time during this I wondered if some of the 'Dot Net' fluff was contributory, but I avoided that stuff during this 'Gathering of clues' Any predictions on patch that might be the problem?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.