Same issue for me. I got the one with the CTO, but nothing since has been successful. Playback error on my mp3 player, plus they come down without any tags at all.
I use Juice to retrieve the audio files...
I was able to download episodes 1033, 1034 and 1035 successfully, and all three play in WMP on my laptop.
However, I typically sync them with my phone to listen off-line. Episode 1033 played fine, but I get an error for 1034 and 1035.
For a test, I took the original downloaded mp3 and loaded it into Audacity, then re-exported it. Below are the results:
Original Podcast File: time: 42:15; size: 24,762 kB
Audacity 64 kbps export: time: 42:08; size: 19,748 kB
Audacity 80 kbps export: time: 42:08; size: 24,685 kB
So, somehow I "lost" 7 seconds and about 100 kB from the file, but both the 64 kbps and 80 kbps versions play fine on my phone.
P.S. I also noticed that the mp3 tags were essentially non-existent on episodes 1034 and 1035, also leading me to believe the process changed somewhat.