Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Has the idea

by murrman / April 9, 2006 1:39 AM PDT

of having updates/alerts in one category and security problems,issues in another been discussed and decided upon yet?.Was recently following a security problem thread and came back to check on it a day later.After scrolling through the first page twice( thought i must somehow have missed it), found it on the second page already.I couldn't believe it.There was 12 threads on the first page dealing with updates/alerts that had already pushed it onto the second page.It shouldn't be a chore to follow threads and the present category the way it is (everything all mixed together)isn't working.It's unorganized the way it is and i find it hard to believe that i'm the only one who feels this way.I would like to continue to participate and continue to learn/ help others but am becoming frustrated trying to do this in it's present form.If it's staying the way it is, please let me know and i will move on to other forums easier to follow.No hard feelings here.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has the idea
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has the idea
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If I undertand you correctly,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Has the idea

you are talking about the daily virus/spyware definition updates and security alerts in the Virus & security alerts forum here;
http://reviews.cnet.com/5204-6132-0.html?forumID=32&tag=dir.forum

I remember you raising this question about format within that forum a week or so ago, and I see you have also raised it in this forum.

Nothing has been mentioned to me, but as I do not moderate the V&S forum I wouldn't have expected any consultation. Such would have to be carried out of course. Consultation with the Mods, and also with the regular and ocassional members in that forum, somehow, so I wouldn't expect any quick answer on this. It may be that the CNET Administrators decide nothing needs be changed. If I remember, you did seem to be a lone dissenter in a sea of conformity. But I may be incorrect in that.

For my part, I find the advice invaluable, and I prefer the way it is handled to other forums I visit. But that is just me.

But I see that your main concern in your post here is not the alerts, but the difficulty in finding a thread you have been following. I moderate in the Windows XP forum, amongst others, and I have to follow certain threads where I am trying to help other members, or even if I just have an interest, and I have to say I have no problem finding these threads, even though the XP forum is very busy and a thread can find it's way to the 2nd page in short order.

There are one of two things I do.

1] Firstly I select "Track this discussion" on a thread I am following. Then, if any posts are made to the thread after I selected that option, I will get an email notifying me of any new posts.

2] Ocassionally, I will want to retain a thread even if there are no discussions on it. In that case I simply Bookmark it, (or save it as a Favorite in IE).

Is there any reason why one or both of these options would not work for you?

Mark

Collapse -
Hey there
by murrman / April 9, 2006 8:34 AM PDT

MarkFlax.I already receive emails from cnet without asking for notification so no way on that avenue.Wasn't disputing alot of members want the updates/alerts, just some other forums have separate categories for these and security problems and it just makes things easier to follow.That was just an example i gave you.Sometimes i might be following 4-5 different security threads at a time and trying to locate them again takes that much longer because everything is mixed together.That's all.

Collapse -
I'm afriad that is the nature of these forums.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Hey there

People keep asking questions and so the list gets longer.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.