Storage forum

General discussion

Has someone experience with Freecom Network Drive 500 GB?

by eveoncnet / July 30, 2007 9:09 PM PDT

At this moment I'm looking for an affordable NAS drive for at home with a LAN and USB interface.

Last weekend I a got a very bad experience with a NAS(ty) drive from WD :-((. It was the "My Book World" Edition 500 GB Ethernet. After a weekend wrestling I brought it back to the shop and got a refund :-). You know partly my fault, I had to read the reviews first!

So, I'm still looking around for an affotable NAS drive. In the mean time I checked out:
- the WD solution, a lot of SW-HD problems and slow ~3MB/s (LAN) no USB.
- the LaCie Mini ethernet 500GB, slow ~5MB/s for LAN and USB.
- the STOREX NAS-351 400 GB USB 2.0 / Ethernet, not much info or reviews found.
- the new Freecom Externe harddisk 3,5" Network Drive 500 GB Ethernet/USB 2.0. The replacer of the classic SL Network drive with a FTP server inside. The latter (previous) has a data transfer rate of approx. 10MB/s (LAN), 25MB(USB), but what about the new one?????

Has someone more experiences and(speed)test-results (review,forums, ...) of the new dutch Freecom Network Drive and/or the french STOREX NAS-351?? All advise and info about cheap NAS drives is welcome!

Why are those cheap NAS drives so slow, is there a technical explanation for it??

note: Freecom said very honest to me that they have some speed problems with this device but couldn't tell me what the results are. At this moment they are working on new firmware to solve the problem, no release date confirmed yet. Another problem, maybe partly related to first was no NTFS with LAN, USB NTFS or FAT32.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has someone experience with Freecom Network Drive 500 GB?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has someone experience with Freecom Network Drive 500 GB?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many are nonplused about speed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2007 11:12 PM PDT

Mostly it's the 100 meagerbit ethernet link. If speed is an issue you don't want a NAS until you can up your network to 1Gb or 1000Mb speeds.

Yes I own 2 NAS boxes but will it matter if you think it should be as fast as some USB drive?

Bob

Collapse -
USB2.0 speed
by eveoncnet / July 31, 2007 12:55 AM PDT

Bob,
I agree about the ethernet link, sharing data over the network with a data transfer rate of ~3MB/s (in case of the WD) is fine for me. On the other hand for ex. backing up your PC's internal HDD ~200GB with the LAN takes respectively 3/4 day! Therefore a direct highspeed USB2.0 link is an alternative to speedup this kind of processes.
Unfortunately, some NAS drives like the LaCie is not much faster than it's LAN speed (~6MB/s) and even slower. Here starts my problem, 20MB/s over USB is acceptable but 6MB/s and lower is a big compromise. Therefore, before I make a second mistake i would like to know more about the USB transfer speed of the new Freecom NAS device, especially for USB. The technical service of Freecom "couldn't" tell me so ending up in this forum.

Concerning the Giga speed: You don't get frustrated as long as you know it! The LaCie has for example a Gigabit LAN connection but has the same, even less, speed as the 100Mbit LAN of approx 6MB/S.

Eve

Collapse -
Which is why I had this other NAS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2007 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: USB2.0 speed

I have this other solution which I found a AMD GEODE motherboard combo and tossed Linux and a 300GB hard disk on it. FTP speed is nearly the full 100 megabit speed. Of course SMB (windows filesharing) pokes along at 8 or so megabytes a second due to more packet overhead.

For me, the small box linux with the low wattage AMD Geode CPU was my answer. Yes, it was something hand made and not for everyone.

I have the Landisk from v-gear.jp as well as the Dlink GSM-G600. They work but over the ethernet you get the usual pokey speeds. The Landisk had to be modified to stop it from overheating.

Bob

Collapse -
old computer -> sever?
by eveoncnet / July 31, 2007 5:48 PM PDT

Bob,
I got still an old PC which I can turnover to a NAS server. This will lead me to far away from my initial intention. A "simple" backup storage device with file sharing capabilities at low power. Not that I can't do it myself but it should be something portable, my wife can use and which don't bother her to much on the desk (not like a second PC).

EVe

Collapse -
My low power machine is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2007 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: old computer -> sever?

Just about 20 watts when doing nothing. That's why I went looking for the AMD Geode system. I have an even lower wattage system running on the Via C3 and it's hovering just above 10 Watts.

How do I know? I bought one of these -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RKVK52/002-4591718-9677606

If they don't sell what you want, you can always make it.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!