How To forum

Question

Has my boss gone too far?

Does your employer give you and other employees company cell phones with GPS tracking to monitor your location at all times during work hours? My boss does. Most of the time, I am doing the outside jobs. Yesterday, I finished my job ahead of schedule and then went to my friend's company for personal things. This morning, I was given a warning that I was goofing around during work.

A HR colleague told me that the boss can not only monitor our location, he a server that collects information on our cell phones, like text messages, phone calls as well as Internet use. What a terrible thing! How could it is possible? Has my boss gone too far if that is true?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has my boss gone too far?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has my boss gone too far?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Contract of employment

In reply to: Has my boss gone too far?

If your employer provides you with a cell phone for company use then he can install whatever apps he likes on it.

Have you checked the terms of your contract of employment? It may be that you signed up for this tracking and other monitoring devices/methods when you accepted your contract of employment.

Mark

Collapse -
Contract

In reply to: Contract of employment

You should have definitely read the company contract thoroughly before signing the form. I would say that your boss had gone too far by invading your privacy. However, if you have signed the contract agreeing for the boss to monitor your devices, then no argument can be made.

Collapse -
These devices are NOT "your devices"

In reply to: Contract

They are company phones and as such, the owner of the phones can install what they want on the phone and restrict its use to company business.

Nothing to stop the OP from using their own phone for personal stuff

P

Collapse -
Answer
monitoring

That is becoming more and more commonplace. Basically, if you are on the clock, you are on his/their time...shades of George Orwell, BIG BROTHER is here.

Collapse -
Answer
Don't like the monitoring!!!

I know that reading of all messages sent and received and other data is possible just using some kind of mobile monitoring application like iKeymonitor (just make a Google search for it). However, I'm really not too sure if it is legal in your case. It all sounds a bit fishy to me since it is your company mobile phone. Maybe your boss is just trying to scare you guys.

Collapse -
Answer
Well in reality

you can only be tracked when the phone is on. Your boss can do this if he has software that manages is employees and communicates with a client on your phone. My company just installed some new security on our phones to do this vary thing,
]

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.