Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Has MS shot itself in the foot?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has MS shot itself in the foot?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has MS shot itself in the foot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.

In reply to: Has MS shot itself in the foot?

The potential problems mentioned are, like most of the others, related to various applications requiring ports to be open that the new default settings for the integrated firewall have closed.

People are overreacting. When Microsoft leaves something out of the OS they are blamed for leaving it out. If they include it they are blamed for taking business away from third party product suppliers. If they include a workable but limited product to allow the third party publishers to continue in business they are excoriated for not providing more.

Simply installing a router can and often does create the same type of "problems" that SP2 is being accused of "causing".

Collapse -
FYI - Adverse problem with your link on my WinME...

Dear Wayne, on first attempt, I got an error message which I could not cancel and had to reboot. On second attempt, I got the link on screen, then the same error message. Hmmm... MS might not have shot itself in the foot...

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Well, hmmmm. . .

In reply to: FYI - Adverse problem with your link on my WinME...

It works on my XP machine with IE and Mozilla, and my W98SE machine with IE.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Worked fine on Mac - firewall settings maybe?

In reply to: Well, hmmmm. . .

Collapse -
It caused my SBC/Yahoo browser to go down every

time I accessed it. Kind of ironic isn't it?

Collapse -
Me too. Browser crash and error report request.

98SE - IE6 and all updates. Pretty stable machine.
Some (not all) of your pages have done me this a'way before. ???

Collapse -
Re: Has MS shot itself in the foot?

We got a screen warning at work when I tried to use Westlaw, that said that it will absolutely NOT work with SP2 installed (XP pro OS). That means a lot of law firms will not be able to use one or the other until something changes.

Collapse -
all i know is ive installed it on 24 machines the past 2 day

plus on mine and my sisters havent a complaint worth mentioning

Collapse -
Well, not IMO Wayne, but thanks for the info. Seems

like stuff like this has been happening for at least the past 5 years and would be normal when something is new...old programs/systems may need adjusting. Even when WinXP came out we had to go to program originators to get a patch/update for some to work. AIR I had to get a patch from GoBack3 on line for XP as well as patches for several games.

Course' MS is offering some business IT's applications guide help:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5323378.html

Also some other comments on program compatibilities if not read yesterday:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=34662&messageID=400728&tag=

Collapse -
Talking about XP...

Friend of mine messed up his computer when he downgraded to 98 FE from SE because he didn't like SE! Then of course he couldn't get his drivers and most hardware to work, because they needed the newer files FE didn't have.

So after a long discussion I finally convinced him to get XP as he ever uses firewalls or antivirus, promising to dual boot it for him with my own SE first so he could still be assured of playing his old DOS games.

Did he wait? Nope, like a bull in a china shop he barged right in and stuck XP on.... then stuck his own drivers on from his CDs and wondered why it wouldn't work! After I did a dirty reinstall without his own drivers we finally got it working... and now he admits he likes XP better!

This is the guy who is so stuck in his ways, he kept using Wordperfect 6.1 for years, hated 95 when it arrived, and detested the thought of upgrading from 98 FE to SE "because it's different"! Now he loves XP, the images, the sound, the layout, everything.

Only thing he cannot do is play one DOS game, but he never could with his current PC anyway as it too fast for the game to run. Shrug, strange though, that he stuck with old tech for so long because he is so stubborn, and now he's embraced the newest one with enthusiasm.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wonderful to see you again, Dale! :-)

In reply to: Talking about XP...

Collapse -
Just goes to show that you can please some of the people...

...etc but most people are happy with what they are happy with.

Reminds me of an employee for whom I moved Heaven and earth to make his life easier, to no avail, until I realised that he was only happy when he had something to grumble about. Well, there yer go - or as you say "shrug".

Nice to see you back on SE - how's your own things going?

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Re: how things are going

In reply to: Just goes to show that you can please some of the people...

Going crap, but thanks for asking. This moronic company I work for has lost over 50% of its clients in a year, so they are shutting us down losing over 200 jobs, mine included.

Check it out, it's been all over the news and media - Primecare, or should that be Prime ********? These are the guys who think three doctors for the whole of Merseyside, or two for all of West Yorkshire is an adequate out of hours service.

Then they wonder why they lost so much business and can never recoup the cost of their investment in the call centres (25 million GBP). A whole lot less shekel counting and more real quality of service to the client and patient would have done them better.

For you Americans wondering who they are, check out Nestor, their parent group, which originates in the US. Oh, and "out of hours service" means doctors who attend patients either by phone triage or home visits, when the offices are closed, including overnight.

The whole system of primary care is being overhauled, and doctors are no longer required to provide this care, instead they are contracting it out. Primecare beleived as a national company it had the market sewn up and forecast taking 60% of the share.

What it didn't reckon on, was smaller more efficient local co-operatives sprouting up, run by groups of local doctors working on a roster. What it didn't reckon on was the NHS's own triage service opening up walk-in centres in the major hospitals, so they only had staffing costs to consider as premises were already covered.

So it gaily ignored the warning signs, and put a couple of doctors on for a whole county, then hiked it charges to the client medical centres by 12% upwards. So patients weree left waiting for as much as a whole day at busy times to even speak to a doctor or triage nurse over the phone, when the govt. stipulation is a maximum wait time of six hours for non-urgent cases, and much less for priority ones.

Collapse -
The whole thing is topsy turvy in my own experience, but ...

In reply to: Re: how things are going

I hope, Dale, that "mine included" will mean that whilst one door closes, a better one opens.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Hey Dale. . .

In reply to: Re: how things are going

Good to have you back. Now is the time to fill out your profile. Wink

Collapse -
Re: Hey Dale. . .

In reply to: Hey Dale. . .

Darn, there's never an aviatory porcine around when you need one. Grin

Collapse -
Hi, Dale. Good to see you again. Sorry about the job.:-(

Hope another, even better, comes along real soon.Happy

Collapse -
Hi, Dale!

Good to "see" you again. It's been awhile.

Sorry to hear about the job situation. I wish you much luck in a new venture, which I am sure will occur quickly.

Take care,
--Marcia/Oregon

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.