Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Has Apple done it again?.

It's hard to know what to make of the iPad at present but what I've seen looks interesting. I'd love to have something that feels more like a book for reading.

I'll be curious to see if the pad lives up to the hype.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/ipad-video/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has Apple done it again?.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has Apple done it again?.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
These have been discussed for years

In reply to: Has Apple done it again?.

yet none of them seems to "stick". They even had a flexible one from Japan. Deal is, it's perhaps the only reason to use wireless and no one does it. In the end if one of these does become popular that might spell the end of the public libraries system as we know it, maybe that's the problem, just not ready to let go of brick and mortar libraries yet.

Collapse -
Don't pull down the libraries yet

In reply to: These have been discussed for years

I like reading a book and it's easy to carry and don't have to worry about it being stolen. I also get books on tape and disk not to mention I can download some to my mp3 player.

Diana

Collapse -
I don't know.

In reply to: Don't pull down the libraries yet

I won't buy one right away. For one thing, I just spent too many dollars on a netbook, so I won't be able to convince my wife that I NEED one of these for a while, but if it is as good as the ads claim, then it may be a home run for Apple.

I wouldn't be able to use the 3G version (lousy AT&T coverage both at home AND at work) but the WiFi version might be useful. When I travel it is heavy and inconvenient to carry multiple books. A tablet like that would fit in my satchel and provide reading material for an entire trip, not to mention reference material when I go on a mission trip (as long as I expect to have electricity!). It's about the same size as a lot of the books I carry, and much smaller/lighter than many of the references. Somebody else noted that it's a bit too large to handle with just one hand, but I rarely hold on to a real book with just one hand. From what I've read, it sounds like a nearly perfect size and shape for a lot of the reading I do.

There are some disadvantages. I can't imagine that I would do much typing on a touch screen keyboard. It probably can't do much picture editing and there's a lot of applications that require more processing power than they can put into that kind of device. It certainly won't be replacing desktop PCs any time soon. Even if it had the processing power, I'd be reluctant to put Turbo Tax or Quicken on something that could be easily lost or stolen.

Still, there's a lot to be said for a well designed entertainment device that has all the features of the iPad.

Collapse -
you sound like my wife

In reply to: Don't pull down the libraries yet

she likes to put tapes or CD's of books into her car's player on way to work too. She has all those Harry Potter series for one. I can't remember the others.

Collapse -
Yes, and there were mp3 players before the iPod, but ...

In reply to: These have been discussed for years

What happened to the other mp3 players when Apple entered the market? It's not that the iPod was the best or cheapest device, but it was superbly designed, accessorized by the relatively friendly iTunes environment that made it a good total package, and well marketed.

I don't see that any tablet products in the past are really comparable to the new iPad, and none of them have benefited from the design skill, marketing skill or general buzz that Apple brings to the table.

The product may or may not be a wild success, but it sure looks good at first glance.

Collapse -
(NT) Hmmm... what happened to my reply?

Collapse -
Maybe you could try again?

In reply to: Hmmm... what happened to my reply?

Sometimes the system does seem to eat posts. I usually just re-post.

Collapse -
have javascript on?

In reply to: Hmmm... what happened to my reply?

Sometimes I turn it off at a sight where it interferes with copy/paste of information from a page, then forget to turn it back on.

Collapse -
I don't think I'd like it...

After reading the review at a PC magazine, I don't think it would be something for me. He had a problem with its size, finding it too big for one-handed use.

Collapse -
Half an inch thick. It's brilliant, and the death of Kindle

because it's only a little more expensive and does so much more, and has a larger readable surface.

Rob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.