Linux forum

General discussion

Has anyone tried the Bastille firewall?

I am concerned that the standard firewall included with RH9 seems porous. Even on the HIGH setting, I have 2 open ports(2 that could do some damage). Also, all my ports are closed(good), but not blocked(bad). While concerned
while using dial-up, really want to pin this down before my DSL modem gets here next week. Downloaded the Bastille 2.1.1, but won't install until I know more about it.
Continuing to read about Linux firewalls, but haven't run across info about closing individual ports. TIA chuck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has anyone tried the Bastille firewall?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has anyone tried the Bastille firewall?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Has anyone tried the Bastille firewall?

In reply to: Has anyone tried the Bastille firewall?

You may be confusing Windows issues with Linux. Let's say that you need to look at the manual pages of:

portmap
inetd

In short, when a packet arrives, the inetd launches the specific program. If you don't have a matching program to launch, then no need to firewall off that port...

Its a different world, and you don't need to do much more than look deeply at inetd and its configuration to see what port you want to stop responses to...

Bob

Collapse -

I've used Bastille for a long time. Just install iptables and the Bastille script, run it, answer the questions and you're done. If I recall correctly it gives you the choice of whether to "close" or "block" and I always chose block.

When going through the questions I don't do some things it offers to do, like usage limits.

DE

Collapse -

The Bastille Hardening System attempts to "harden" or "tighten" Unix operating systems. It is not a firewall. The tool is meant to be used by experience users and system administrators. More info can be found here . http://www.bastille-linux.org/

Your question seems to indicate a novice experience with Linux. I will assume you are using the GUI tool for configuring the firewall.

The fact that you have 2 ports open means that you configured the firewall with rules to allow traffic through those 2 ports. For example I have configured my firewall to allow only port 22 (SSH).

You most likely want to answer NO to allowing ANY services if you want to close all the ports.

Collapse -
Thanks, all!

In reply to: Re:Has anyone tried the Bastille firewall?

Since I started at zero, I'm still a novice in spite of all I've learned about Linux. 22 is one of the ports open, which is Telnet. I've always heard that was some-
thing you definately want closed. While it's true I'm applying Windows values? to the problem, I'm not sure that's wrong. I want any system I have(even if it were Mac) to be as secure as I can make it without going overboard. The theory that I'm not important enough for anyone to want to hack me has caught many a user. Anyway, I'll keep studying and enjoying my Linux. chuck

Collapse -
Port 22 is ssh, not telnet.

In reply to: Thanks, all!

ssh, being what it is, is the best port to use...

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Port 22 is ssh, not telnet.

In reply to: Port 22 is ssh, not telnet.

Gotcha, thanks. Wonder why a list had it as Telnet.
The other one open is 111(sun/unix remote). Not necessary on a standalone computer I'm assuming. Thanks again, Bob.
chuck

Collapse -
Re:Re:Port 22 is ssh, not telnet.

In reply to: Re:Port 22 is ssh, not telnet.

Oh you definitely want that one closed. Unless you are using NFS or some other RPC to talk between systems, you don't need Portmap. Turn off portmap in the services and also block that, at the very least, on the internet port.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.