Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Has anyone tried Norton 2006?

by photobuff55 / March 22, 2006 1:21 AM PST

It would appear that the majority of the complaints have to do with NIS 2005. That's only one product from Symantec. I have used Norton SystemWorks since I first learned of it from my computer consultant back in 1995 and have loved it. It has resolved many registry issues, cleans my computer of the daily garbage that collects, has been a proven anti-virus protection, etc. etc. HOWEVER, the last version I put on any of my computers was 2004. I actually bought it in early 2005 and got a sale price on it. I have never experienced any of the problems talked about in this forum, the heavy use of memory, the slowdown, seeing Word and Excel as viruses, etc. None of that. My 2004 subscription just expired, and I need to update. So, has anyone tried anything from norton as 2006 version?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has anyone tried Norton 2006?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has anyone tried Norton 2006?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I like it better than the 04&05 versions
by tom4561 / March 22, 2006 1:56 AM PST

the 2006 norton IS version does seem to make things run slower, but I like the new features.

Of course, this is coming from a novice. I know most of the experienced users don't like Norton. Tom.

Collapse -
Not everyone has
by murrman / March 22, 2006 3:08 AM PST

problems with norton but alot do.Some of it has to do with the norton program itself, the rest probably incompatibility with the other software on the users computer.While i don't use it, regular norton users seem happy with the latest version.It's a good AV but it's weak link appears to be trojan prevention and removal.And we all know how dominant the trojan malware is right now.AV's like Kaspersky and F-secure do a pretty darn good job on most malware including trojans.Add Ewido or even better, BOClean to one of these and you got yourself a sweet setup.

Collapse -
I had 2004, then 2006 for about 2 days
by NWRCS / March 22, 2006 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Not everyone has

I thought, hey, all that marketing they must be good.
So, after extending 2004 for one year, I decided to upgrade to 2006.

Bad decision.

This thing has more pop-ups, blocking all or part of your screen while it does it's "thing", and you can't move or minimize them.

An infestation that creates pop-ups is less invasive, in my opinion.

I spent 2 days with their non-english-speaking support people, seems you cannot tailor the way it works to suit you, and I was assured I would love it.

When I went to one of my regular sites and I got a full-screen window that said something to the effect that Norton didn't like this site and was investigating, then announced it was shutting down the window, it shut down all open browser windows and left me looking at the desktop.

I then found out how to get a refund, did an un-install, and found out it really doesn't un-install.

It took me I think 3 days of searching in my spare time to find all the remnants (first I looked for "Symantec", got rid of those.
Then "NAV", then "Norton").

Then I find some still like "LSUpdt" or some such that was an auto-updater that doesn't tell you anywhere who owns it.
I had to re-name a lot of stuff and let the system run for a week to make sure it wasn't affecting anything else.

Lot of time in the registry.

This stuff is plain and simple a memory hog.
The speed of my old system with XP Pro picked up noticeably.

I have AVG Free now, works, catches stuff.

I don't recall Norton EVER catching anything, even when I got hijacked twice.

Would I ever go back?

Maybe after a frontal lobotomy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?