Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Has anyone heard of or used Turbo-net?

by zeebell / February 26, 2005 10:38 PM PST

Gateway 400 Select PC; 160 MB RAM; Windows 98 SE; IE 6 SP1

Our ISP is offering a new thing called Turbonet. It will cost $1.95/mo. or $21/yr --- in addition to our monthly rate of $17/mo. They're giving us a 30-day free trial.

Thus far, I really like it because their claim to fame was it can improve downloading of pages UP TO 5 times as fast. Well ----- it's done that for us and then some. The information about it indicated that somehow they compress the data to make it load faster.

Things are still coming down the pike at 28800 bps ---- but somehow our pages are appearing instantaneously. We have many friends on cable and with turbonet, we're up there with the big boys (LOL)! I even compared it to what happens when I put a tik under Internet Options under don't display animations ---- and it is still much faster with the Turbonet.

I've inquired with our ISP re: how long they cache their pages as it must be something to do with that to make them "appear" to be coming in faster. Whatever it is, thus far I do like it and for our needs it might just be the thing.

Has anyone used this program or even heard of it? If so ----- do you like it?

Thank you.

Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has anyone heard of or used Turbo-net?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has anyone heard of or used Turbo-net?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Turbo net
by mackman / March 30, 2005 12:10 AM PST

All any of these programs do is compress the page which degrades the graphics. downloads will not be any faster.

Collapse -
Re: Turbo net
by snharden / May 6, 2005 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Turbo net

Don't waste your money. Just more snake oil for the dial up people. Its basically a caching service. I won't waste alot of time on it other than save your money its really not worth it.

Collapse -
Let me tell you a story
by AussiePete / May 8, 2005 12:30 AM PDT

Hi Julea,
I live in Sydney, Australia - well about 12 mths ago I found out my ISP in conjunction with the government were offering for a short period of time assistance to those dialup members who were only getting something like 2800bps. My ISP is our largest phone company whom up till about 10yrs ago was a government utility and as such had a monopoly - they still own the phone network and are 51% Gov owned.
Well I enquired about this so called "assistance" - I was told if after a technician checked my line and all appropriate measure had been taken to eliminate systems configuration problems I would receive the assistance. I spoke to a technician and ask "what kind of assistance - I was told compression software - From what he was saying this would make a significant difference - so my question was "why isn't it readily available" to which he replied - well because it's expensive because it's copyright - anyway to cut a long story short thins conversation went on a while - and I surmised from what he said was this software would require a major upgrade of the ISP hardware and this was not possible because they were hoping phase out dialup and introduce global broadband.
So to answer your question, if it is the same compression software, it appears it can make a significant increase to your through put.
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
Yes and No
by Willy / May 16, 2005 1:30 PM PDT

Psuedo techno BS. Sure its going to work if already you got some of the websites or repeated images already on your system. It just "appears" to work faster but really slight of hand. Any decent ISP out there is offering this stuff as an option, why not just give it away, free and make your ISp the toast of the town. Nope, they want more $ from the user for this magic service. But heck, if you're happy with the results, go for it. I switch around too often to new websites to benefit from it, but more importantly I'll not pay extra for the burden I already pay as it is.

adios -----Willy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?