HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Has anyone else had their profiles altered or deleted..

by William Finder / August 3, 2004 8:12 AM PDT

...without their knowledge?

Sometime in the last three days, the 'bio' portion of my profile just 'mysteriously' disappeared.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Has anyone else had their profiles altered or deleted..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Has anyone else had their profiles altered or deleted..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, and I don't like it one bit....
by John Robie / August 3, 2004 8:17 AM PDT

So, apparently Lee Koo is letting Moderators have their way in deleting what ever they don't like in our profile.

Mine was deleted twice in the bio, so gave up for the time being until a particular Moderator and I have it out.......

Collapse -
Re: Yes, and I don't like it one bit....
by Angeline Booher / August 3, 2004 8:56 AM PDT

Why would I, or any other moderator, want to alter or remove any of your profile?

My bio disappeared, as well.

Furthermore, when I checked on several yesterday, I saw NO bios.

It isn't very pleasant to sit here for as many hours as we do and have it said that we are up to no good! I reckon you think we would do that out of sheer meaness. Also, that we don't have enough to do, so have a blast removing folk's profiles!

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by Glenda / August 3, 2004 9:36 AM PDT

Angeline, I would like for you and the other Mods to know that at NO time did I think any one had done this.
We have so many glitches going on with the software that it is not surprising that this has happened. Hopefully someone posted in feedback so Lee can be made aware of this problem.
Glenda

Collapse -
by Rolway / August 3, 2004 9:48 AM PDT

Gee Glenda. I don't know about bugging Lee just yet. I would sure like to see these screw ball arrows straighten out first. Sad

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Arrows? What arrows? :-)
by Angeline Booher / August 3, 2004 9:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Glenda / August 3, 2004 10:03 AM PDT

LOL All right George, I won't tell him then:)
Glenda

Collapse -
I posted in Feedback, and
by Cindi Haynes / August 3, 2004 9:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / August 3, 2004 9:54 AM PDT

I know you didn't Glenda.

I don't know why some of the stuff stayed, and the bios didn't. I can't remember if that part had a so many character limit. But the others wouldn't stay when they were too long.

And here all Lee was trying to do was something nice he thought we all would enjoy.

Thanks, Glenda!

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by John Robie / August 3, 2004 9:53 AM PDT

Did I say WE...YOU... are up to no good Angeline. I don't like a particular Moderator removing my 3 posts recently as a reply to Evie that had absolutely no violation to the TOS. I suspect that MODERATOR removed my BIO, even when I posted a one line BIO. If I am wrong, then I apologize for saying that MODERATOR removed my Bio.

JOHN

Collapse -
Just a thought ...
by Evie / August 4, 2004 1:13 AM PDT

... as I remember the thread. Perhaps your reply came in "under the wire" before the thread was locked. I know it was locked down quite soon after my post. The moderators probably didn't take kindly to trying to go around the lock to post it two more times?

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Just a thought ...
by John Robie / August 4, 2004 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought ...

Well, you are correct partially, the 1st reply I made came in and was posted, but immediately removed and the padlock posted. So, instead of violating the padlock rule and using the "24" workround, I made a completely new thread making reference that it was a post to Evie. That thread was deleted, so made another brand new thread and that was again deleted. Received no email concerning the deletions which DaveK and Angeline would normally do. I do know that David Evans gets upset if someone tries to make a post even completely rewritten if he 1st deleted any post that you have made... sort of like...how dare you trying to post even a clean one ...no matter what....after I deleted your post.

Well, in any event....about the Mods having the capability to audit the profiles....and who knows modified mine (twice)....Lee Koo will now be the only one capabile to modify....see Feedback.

Shall we drop this whole discussion.

Collapse -
by Evie / August 4, 2004 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Just a thought ...

Hi John,

I know you wished to drop this, but I thought I would just share two more thoughts/experiences. Firstly, I have had posts removed by who knows which mod without receiving an email. It's just not a big deal. Secondly, I'm not a big fan of the locking threads but it's a feature and it's being used so we should all comply. The purpose is to put an end to the discussion at hand. I realize it is frustrating -- especially since you were merely answering a question I posed to you -- to have it cut off, and the lock may or may not have been directed at that part of the thread, but a lock is a lock, and the spirit of which precludes continuing the discussion in a new thread. Maybe you have a guardian angel Mod that removed your attempts to do so in order to protect you from a TOS violation with grave consequences? It's possible.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
by John Robie / August 5, 2004 4:37 AM PDT

Won't let it lie huh!

No thanks, I am not appreciative of your thoughts/experiences concerning rules and especially how to abide by them. I do however, appreciate your many other posts that can be informative with knowledge/experience and being of interest to me. Rules, I am quite aware of and have many years experience instituting a lot of major command military rules, regulations, and procedures. In fact in later civilian work environments I was called upon to come up with rules, procedures, and many management decisions input for the work force in a very large factory. I realize these are rules of a civilian business and have also had posts removed by who knows which mod without receiving an email. It is just not a big deal with me and I rarely ever complain except just recently, and others may not realize, but it has been with you that my posts I've complained being deleted. LOL huh! Several weeks ago you attempted to insinuate that I intentionally made a reply to you by posting against the "lock". That was a case where the post button was hit by me just as the 'lock' was also put on by a unknown Mod. It happened again just like that the other day when I attempted to reply to you, but this time the post was made and the Mod immediately deleted it and put up the "lock" Guardian Angel, perhaps instead of me, you have a Mod in hand.

And speaking of TOS violation with grave consequences that you mentioned ....well I think Cindi 1st came up with something new on July 18 that I haven't seen Lee Koo or it being written in the TOS that the "next time"......er....."next time"... hmmm without a warning or email.........

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=29686&messageID=337710&tag=

Cindi being a fairly new Mod, perhaps a much older SE Mod suggested to her to put in "next time". Happy

Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / August 5, 2004 6:09 AM PDT

Hi John,

Nobody "suggests" to me what to write.

It's been well-known that the mods often give "warnings" before initiating further action to give a member a chance to clean up their act (as it were). In this case, I gave everyone their warning in a public post, because of the stubbornness and unwillingness of some in the forum to abide by the rules at the time, and because there was a lot of posting to a locked thread that we wanted stopped quickly.

Lately, there's been a few things that should be patently obvious that are suddenly being questioned and whined about. Frankly, if we let things ride, it's a free-for-all and the modalerts fly, and if we work early to stop things from escalating we're Nazis. Being accused of collusion, censorship and other despicable acts we're not guilty of doesn't bring cheer to our hearts, either. Of course, nobody said keeping children in line would be easy.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
by John Robie / August 5, 2004 7:49 AM PDT

I agree, and keeping 'children' in line like you say is not easy. I have also taught and currently receive a monthly retirement check from the Teacher Retirement System of Texas along with other retirement checks.

Although I was not involved in the "..... stubbornness and unwillingness of some in the forum to abide by the rules at the time,.." am curious if your post at that time still applies in regards to "Next time anyone..."
"Next time anyone posts to a locked thread, we will initiate banning of that member for any time period up to and including a permanent ban."

JR

Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / August 5, 2004 8:33 AM PDT

Technically, yes since everyone already has had a warning. If the situation required it, we could initiate a ban if a post is made to a locked thread. As always, it's up to the Mods' and/or Lee's discretion.

What age group did you teach, John? I thought you were career military, I didn't know you were an educator too!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
by John Robie / August 5, 2004 9:14 AM PDT

Thanks Cindi, that is what I thought.

I retired with 21+ yrs in the USAF, way back in the early 70's and embarked on new and varied careers. My kids want me to write a book on my adventures, but just don't have the time now that I'm fully retired. Can't say it was young kids I taught, and the subject was Management and Administration. Never touched a computer keyboard until I was 66 yrs old and learned about computers all from Toni H., Donna Hager and Bill Gaston by just reading their posts in the old ZDNet Call for Help asking only about 3 questions in 5 years.

Sheee......don't get me started Cindi, could bend your ears for hours, and incidentally I do know a lot about the hazards and joys of plain ole 'LIFE'... Was married the first time for 18 years, spent a lot of time in the dating scene, then married about 3 more times following, and currently married for 25 years to a wonderful Gal much, much younger than me. Ok, I'll shut up, you already know more about me now than others..
Wink
JR

Collapse -
by Cindi Haynes / August 6, 2004 1:24 AM PDT

Sounds like an interesting life, John! I'm on my second (and last) marriage, and Greg is on his 3rd (and last!) We've both decided we don't wanna "train" anyone new. LOL

So, if your kids win and you write a book, let us know! I'd read it!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
This is where I learned about Mods & the Profile....
by John Robie / August 3, 2004 10:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Gripe, gripe, gripe, *****, *****, *****. What does...
by Jack Ammann / August 3, 2004 10:38 AM PDT

..."have it out" mean"?

Collapse -
Not like old ...
by John Robie / August 3, 2004 11:09 AM PDT

baroom Tex fisticuffs or meet at high noon with six shooters near the 'hanging tree' in Langtry, Tx.

With words now-a-days. Wink

Collapse -
Re: Has anyone else had their profiles altered or deleted..
by Glenda / August 3, 2004 8:32 AM PDT

Yep! I put down for email from other members and it just disappeared!
Glenda

Collapse -
by Mary Kay / August 3, 2004 8:37 AM PDT

for me it was just the opposite. i put no email and I checked and it was checked to email. I changed it again. So we'll see

Collapse -
by R Bibb / August 3, 2004 8:43 AM PDT

This is all sounding like software glitches and not mods who are out of control. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Yes
by Mary Kay / August 3, 2004 9:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Glenda / August 3, 2004 8:36 AM PDT

I just edited my profile again and the email link is now showing. Hopefully it will stay.
Glenda

Collapse -
by William Finder / August 3, 2004 8:41 AM PDT

Until 'somebody' quits playing around, I'm going to delete mine entirely.

Collapse -
My bio disappeared.
by Angeline Booher / August 3, 2004 8:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Rolway / August 3, 2004 8:53 AM PDT

No problem with mine. Didn't fill it out. Can't find a form??

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) George, you are my fav poster. ;-).....
by John Robie / August 3, 2004 9:00 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.