Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hardware troubles for a semi-beginner?

Hi,

So the story goes...I was talking to a friend's brother who said he could build a computer no problem and seemed to have the knowledge to do so...well my other friend (well call him hooty) ordered parts off of newegg and brought it to the "knowledgable friend" which we will now name him kf. Well hooty and i drove to kf's house to drop the parts off and went to dairy queen and back...to find out he was halfway done...but was having problems...seeing as he didn't know what half the pieces were for and kept trying to power it on when fully installed...and so we ended up bringing back to my house. I put the comp together within a few hours by reading all the manuals I could get my hands on. The problem now is that the power supply was working and running well at kf's house until about 30 min before we took it back but there was never any video feed.

The problem is now that I hooked it up *which im almost 100% positive it is hooked up right* and even just went back down to the bare necessities..the power supply and mobo lights and fans will spin/turn on for about 2 seconds..then shut off. It does it repeatedly even when i took the power off of the hd and everything that didn't NEED to be on for me to find out if the power would stay on.

Specs on the comp are

corsair 750w psu
ati radeon 5870 his turbo gfx card
regular 650gb hd
gigabyte p55-usb3 mother board
intel core i7-860(?) cpu
antec case (dont think that's needed but just in case.no pun intended
adata ddr3 ram..2 sticks but only used 1 at a time

like I said..symptoms are that the 4 phase led lights on the mobo go on for about 1-2 seconds along with all the fans (before i unplugged them all)...and the power supply fan turns on as well.

My thoughts and from what I read said that the psu was underpowered (which at 750w doesn't sound right to me)...that the cpu was toast..or that the heat sink fan was improperly installed (including the thermal paste)...or that the mobo has a short circuit in it somewhere (which i've checked all the stand-offs and nothing is touching it and even ran it outside the case for testing purposes) and can't find anything so any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware troubles for a semi-beginner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware troubles for a semi-beginner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's difficult to say

In reply to: Hardware troubles for a semi-beginner?

It's difficult to say, because "kf" may have damaged any number of components by deciding that a lack of knowledge on the subject isn't going to stop him. That kind of bungling is fine when it's YOUR stuff you're destroying, but...

Anyway, when you say you went down to the bare essentials, that would be just the CPU, RAM, and PSU right? Then if the thing seems to turn on, stay on, and beep after POST, you know what is going on.

If you did that, and the thing still won't turn on, I'd say the motherboard is likely fried. The thing is getting an initial jolt of power, so the PSU is likely fine. Unfortunately it's not a simple matter to power up an ATX PSU on its own. You need a special loop device to short a couple of pins.

But given the apparent lack of skill, not to mention concern for his friend's stuff, the odds of "kf" destroying the motherboard seem infinitely higher than the PSU. I won't rule out the CPU, but even if the CPU were completely gone, you should still get a stable power feed.

One other thing, as I've forgotten to do it in the past. You did connect the secondary power feed cable, right? It's usually located very close to the CPU, and is on the order of about 4-pins. I've also seen motherboards that have 2x12-pin ATX rails, but those are usually boards designed for multiple graphics cards.

Without having seen exactly what "kf" did while you guys were at Dairy Queen, you're kind of left in the dark here. For all you know he was walking all around a shag carpeted room carrying various components with him.

Start with a base system of RAM, CPU, and PSU. If that doesn't work, you know it's one of four components. You also know that RAM and CPU are unlikely candidates, so you can focus in on the remaining two: motherboard and power supply.

Collapse -
Comp Build

In reply to: It's difficult to say

It was actually that the cpu power cord wasn't attached firmly although I don't understand why he got no video feed..this was my first computer build and it was successful. Thank you for the input Happy

Collapse -
Because

In reply to: Comp Build

Because there wasn't enough power to get the CPU fully operational to initialize the video card.

Put simply, at least from the limited details I have to work with from your initial post, "kf" is an idiot who doesn't have a clue. Do not trust them with anything you value again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.