Desktops forum

General discussion

Hardware problem

okay so my packard Bell IX9600 Machine has had a recurring problem that i cannot fathom for the life of me and have had to have booked in for repair 4 times in the last month (great repair service huh?)

Specs:
Intel core2 quad q6600 processor
3gb 667 MHz DDR 2 ram
Nvidia 9600gs gfx card
Foxconn socket 775 micro atx mobo
Phoenix bios
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750gb hdd
Vista 32 bit home premium (should be 64 but packard bell/pc world do not supply you with an os disk to correct and the recovery partition only contains 32 bit)

the problem is the machine blackscreens repeatedly on prolonged use and after a few blackscreens the pc will not boot to bios and shows no display + i get a continous long beep coming from the speaker.

Fiddles with the ram a little yesterday and managed to get it to boot into windows.

Ram problem rite?

I bought 2 replacment ram sticks (2gb and 1gb) of the same specs today ( 667 mhz to ensure compatibility), no joy pc squeals like mental at me still.

tryed all combinations of ram in each slot and no joy, no boot.

none of the capacitors are leaking electrolyte/bulging and i cannot see/smell anything burning or damaged inside the mobo.

I was under the impression this was being caused by packard bell/pc world supplying this machine with an undersized psu(comes with a stock 250w PEAK psu when the gfx card recommends a 400w minimum) so i upped this to 450w expecting that the psu was blowing and taking my mobo with it.

Whats even worse is that this pc from pc world has good reviews on the internet so they clearly have not even looked inside the box and seen how substandard this build really is!!!

Any ideas on how to fix would be much appreciated.

Paul.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's not just Watts.

In reply to: Hardware problem

It's Amperes if you are designing a machine. Watts is a little easy for consumers to deal with so while I think this machine is stock I'd forgo the power supply and ask it's owner about the yearly maintenance.

Example at http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html

If this was my machine I'd replaced the heatsink compound since it's cheap and often helps.
Bob

Collapse -
Heatsink compound.

In reply to: It's not just Watts.

I wil try re-thermaling the compound, ty bob will post if that fixes-

Meantime keep the ideas coming !!!

ty

paul!

Collapse -
stl no joy.

In reply to: Heatsink compound.

cleaned of the old thermal paste, applied new paste- got rid of a fair amount of dust from the Heat sink whilst i was at it!!!!

Unfortunatley i still get the Same constant POST beep with no display..

Collapse -
Go back to stock RAM.

In reply to: stl no joy.

The constant beeping is usually RAM or video card not plugged in.

Collapse -
Stock ram back in

In reply to: Go back to stock RAM.

gfx card pluged in propperly and ram back in:(

I guess either RAM or gfx card have died a death!

Will push for replacment on this next repair job!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.