Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hardware or Driver issue?

Specs: Soyo SYi845e v1, 2.7 Celeron, 256mb pc 2100 ddr,
Win XP Pro. sp1, All updates and patches applied.
Software: Window Media Player v.9, Nav, Zone Alarm Pro.

This computer is about 2 months old. I've never experienced any problems.
I recently installed a new sound card, C-Media 8738 chipset. After installing the drivers, the computer could not reboot Windows. I could see a blue screen with some error messages, but it didn't last long enough to read. I booted in Safe Mode and re-installed the drivers. The computer booted Windows, but when I attempted to open an app. the computer would re-boot and reboot again, and then I got the safe mode option again.
The card has the usual ports and game port. In Safe Mode, I began to disable the components one by one . After disabling the game port, the card worked flawlessly. Device Manager says that the port is working properly and that the drivers are installed. I uninstalled and re-installed the driver for the game port, but no change. It only works with the game port disabled.
Also Windows Media Player 9 has been rendered inoperable and cannot play any files. If I use the CMedia player, it works great.
It seems that the CMedia software does not work well with Windows.
I can do system restore and the computer works great, but the CMedia drivers are uninstalled or deleted.
Has anyone had a similar experience with this software, or did I just screw up the installation?
Tell me about it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware or Driver issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware or Driver issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hardware or Driver issue?

In reply to: Hardware or Driver issue?

most newer store/vendor built systems have motherboards with on-board sound installed...in order to disable this so you can physically install a separate pci sound card, you need to get into the bios, check the on-board/integrated peripherals and change it to DISABLED (usually it shows up as AC-97 in the bios). Once disabled, reboot to safe mode and make sure there are no drivers installed for that on-board sound card in Device Manager and also in Add-Remove Programs.

As for the Media Player...if you want the Windows Media Player to be the default player instead of C-Media, locate any .wav or .midi or .mp3 file (use Search), then right click and choose Open With...Windows Media Player from the list. Make sure you put a check mark in 'always use this program' before selecting/clicking on Media Player.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Hardware or Driver issue?

In reply to: Hardware or Driver issue?

Hi Toni H; Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that I had disabled the onboard sound prior to installing the sound card.
To update since my last post, It seems that the WMP v.9 needed the most current patch from MS. After I installed the patch, everything seems to be working correctly. Windows seems to have re-installed the game port in device manager and enabled it.
The MS patch seems to have solved all the problems.
It is still a mystery to me how the installation of this software seems to have triggered all the problems and errors. For now I'll leave well enough alone.
Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.