PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hardware Malfunction

by snowboardr / August 16, 2004 1:20 PM PDT

These forums are awsome. Im just gunna use them everytime I have a problem. Oh well... onto the question.
I get a Hardware Malfunction Memory Parity or something close to that when I play Tribes 1. This mean I need new ram or is there an easy fix. I dont have $70 for new ram. I have a 128MB stick which i got the same error before and then i bought a 256MB stick afterwards and still got the problem. Would taking out the 128 work to keep my game running.
Note: This only happens with Tribes 1. All my other games: America's Army (which i figured out the problem to the last post), BF1942, CS, and a bunch of others dont have this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware Malfunction
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware Malfunction
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hardware Malfunction
by frankzxcv / August 16, 2004 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Hardware Malfunction

welcome to the forum . you need to provide more info about your system. --fj

Collapse -
Re: Hardware Malfunction
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2004 9:26 PM PDT

Try this. Remove the case cover and point a fan at the machine. Better? Same?

Collapse -
video card?
by reefurbb / August 17, 2004 12:22 AM PDT

It's sometimes difficult to find all the system requirements for a game. Error popups aren't too smart.
A fatter video card is as costly as added ram. Put both 128 and 256 in. You may have an option in bios (onboard video and some AGP cards) to use more ram for video.

Collapse -
Re: video card?
by snowboardr / August 17, 2004 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: video card?

Sry. I forgot the info.
-AMD Athlon 700 something 1GHz (cant remember)
-384MB RAM (1 128 and 1 256)
-GeForce 5900XT (i know its the striped down version Sad At least it works better than an old TNT2)
-No built in graphics, sound, or internet on the motherboard
-DVD-Rom and CD-RW
And because im Obsessive Compulsive...
-4 usb ports
-1 paralle port (sry. cant spell)
-2 firewire ports
-1 A Drive
-A ps/2 port
-keyboard and mouse connects
-and for some od reason... The power cable hole thing.

I hope i didnt miss anything.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?