PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hardware Heaven...and How to Get There!

by culture_of_one / May 5, 2005 12:50 AM PDT

Okay, Guys!

We've talked about who makes the best equipment, and what to look for when choosing that equipment...now it's time to go shopping!

So, here's my next question:

In your personal opinion, what is the absolute best place and/or way to buy quality hardware at the best possible price? Is NewEgg the best? How about Ebay? Should we shop Tiger Direct, or Crazy Bob's House of Hardware? Is "white box" stuff worth the extra effort? And how about those sales we should probably all be watching for? When is a deal really a deal? Any tips and/or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

There will be no votes in this thread--and no winners will be declared. I just want to hear what everyone has to say.

Sincerely, JDM

(*I hope CNET's international readers will share their favorite suppliers, tips and tricks as well. People have to shop for hardware in Australia, Britain, Canada...and everywhere else, too. So tell us what you know!) Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware Heaven...and How to Get There!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware Heaven...and How to Get There!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whole thread about this in the
by TONI H / May 5, 2005 1:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
I expect this thread...
by culture_of_one / May 5, 2005 1:44 PM PDT

to be a little broader in scope. Wink

-JDM

Collapse -
(NT) ZipZoomFly
by jcd / May 5, 2005 8:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why do you like them?
by culture_of_one / May 5, 2005 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: ZipZoomFly

Better prices? Better service? More convenient? More selection? Quick delivery?

Wink JDM

Collapse -
(NT) Newegg = best-ness
by ozos / May 5, 2005 12:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Do they have regular sales?
by culture_of_one / May 5, 2005 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Newegg = best-ness

And are there any shopping tips/tricks you'd like to share? (Ex. Can we get an additional discount by bundling stuff together? Does anything go on sale on the second tuesday of every month?)

Wink JDM

Collapse -
Xoxide has X-Hour...
by ozos / May 8, 2005 11:21 AM PDT

it's weekly iirc
where they put select items on large sales (and it's only for like 4 hours)
at www.xoxide.com
the hard thing about Xoxide is finding things you actually NEED, and not just cool stuff that you WANT
lol

Collapse -
Thanks for the info, Oz!
by culture_of_one / May 8, 2005 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Xoxide has X-Hour...

Those kinds of sales can be fun...and you never know what might turn up!

Wink JDM

Collapse -
Personally...
by culture_of_one / May 6, 2005 9:53 AM PDT

I use OEM (a.k.a. "White Box") parts. For those of you who don't already know--white box parts are what large producers use. They usually come without any cables or manuals, and have a 3 month guarantee at best. For me, the prices are great--so I don't really mind scrounging up a few cables and downloading the necessary info/software from the web. I get my stuff from what you might call "warehouse stores"...although I think "garage stores" might give you a better idea of what they actually look like. I get sales/price info from local "computer rags" and off the web.

Wink JDM

(*OEM parts are nicknamed "white box" parts because they usually come in plain white boxes.)

(**OEM stands for "Original Equipment Maker/Manufacturer"--if anyone really wanted to know.)

Collapse -
So far...
by culture_of_one / May 8, 2005 1:17 AM PDT

we've had ZipZoomFly, Newegg, and whatever OEM parts fall off the back of a truck. Is that it? Well, I guess hardware heaven isn't so hard to reach after all!

Wink JDM

(*A few more "shopping tips" for the average muggle would be appreciated. How safe is shopping online? Is there any way to make it safer?)

Collapse -
RE:
by Compsamurai / May 9, 2005 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: So far...

you shouldn't have a problem with security as long as you don't have spyware, have a firewall, and don't shop at weird or flaky sites. make sure you are in a secure connect(windows should notify you)when you put your info.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.