PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hardware/HDD and XP Pro problem

by David M / January 22, 2005 2:08 AM PST

Hello,

The Issue: I'm attempting to install XP Pro on a new home built system, onto a new 120G hdd;the installation from the cd-rom starts with the Windows Setup blue screen loading files runs until (at the bottom) it states "starting window", pauses for a few moments then apppears another blue screen with the message, "A problem has been detected and window has been shut down to prevent damage to the computer." It states to remove any new hard drives and so on.
I initially tried to boot from an older 8GB hdd with XP PRO installed, just for tesing purposes of the new system, which I received the above error. I then booted up using another 30GB hdd with Win98se installed; the computer got into Win98 right away and started looking for drivers for all the new components, I then shut it down. My thoughts were that maybe the nature of the new sytem was too much for the small 8GB hdd to handle. I replace it with a brand new 120GB hdd, rebooted, installation started and then the error happened.
I checked the hdd's jumper, it was in cable select position, I moved it to master/slave, and rebooted with the same result. I'm using a motherboard with SATA/PATA, in the BIOS I've checked that both were enabled and that the primary drive was the hdd set as pata. In the BIOS, everything looks to be set correctly. I'm now at a lost as to what the problem could be.
System specs: Asus P4P800 deluxe rev.2, Intel P4 2.4c cpu, 1G Geil pc3500 ram, Seagate 120GB hdd, ATI 9800 video card, with cd-rom and cd-rw drives. Antec case with 430W PS.
This is my fourth system build, first Intel base system however so am not sure if its something I've done or not done or XP Pro reacting to system set up.
I would greatly appreciate any help with suggestions as to what could be done to fix this problem.
Best Regards and thank you for your assistance.
David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware/HDD and XP Pro problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware/HDD and XP Pro problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So far...
by David M / January 23, 2005 3:32 AM PST

everything that I've tried and retried, hasn't worked. I reduce components down to one stick of 512mb of ram, video card, hdd. On the small hdd with os installed, it'll start by asking to start windows "normally" or list the other options such as safe mode; I've tried "normally" and "safe mode" with still the error resulting. As with the new 'clean' hdd, the same result.
I've tried different PS, cables, a single ram stick in each of the four ram slots, different brand of ram.
The post screen memory check states "ok".

Collapse -
All it means is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: So far...

You have a BUM part in the mix. It could be as simple as an out of date BIOS or someone that didn't set the BIOS to safest defaults.

It's not a XP issue yet.

Bob

Collapse -
BIOS at default....
by David M / January 23, 2005 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: All it means is...

settings from Asus, AMI version 08.00.09, build date 7.21.03...on P4P800 deluxe version 2.0.
Being a bit frustrated, I dismattled the system and started over; removed the hsf and cpu. Reapplied thermal paste, replaced hsf/cpu to mobo. One stick of ram, nothing else. Booted, received post beep; added video card...post beep. Added only hdd cable with hdd...no post beep, but asked to start in normal mode and such, got the error.
Replaced small hdd with clean hdd, booted with no post beep. Removed hdd but left cable in the mobo; rebooted and got post beep.
Problem in the motherboard still? Wonder why hdd with Wn98se booted up ok?
Think the BIOS is questionable? Everything I've heard about updating the bios is not to do it unless that is the cause.
Thanks, Bob, for the assistance this far.

Collapse -
Just my way of doing things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: BIOS at default....

If I'm setting up the machine, the BIOS is updated before I spend one minute installing XP. Just a lesson I've learned in the trenches. Here's my number one example. Similar to your story was a bad system. The BIOS update corrected a "minor" memory timing and that was all that I could tell they had updated. In that case it fixed it.

If you elect to stay with an old version BIOS and give what I've read... You may just have to call the suppliers and start returning parts until they ship something that works.

It's very sad they don't ship you a ready to use board. But DIY builders are supposed to "deal with it."

Bob

Collapse -
Now I'll have to....
by David M / January 23, 2005 7:24 AM PST

just figure out best way of updating the bios. Never done it, so this'll be another first.
From all the testing so far, it's either the BIOS or the motherboard it self. All the other components work fine in the other system. I'll do some more research. Maybe post in Computer Help forum, maybe someone with same Asus board might see, and have a hint to the problem, no disrespect to you.
Thanks Bob for all the help, greatly appreciate it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.