PC Hardware forum

General discussion

hardware for making dvd's

OK, I've searched the web over and over for the way to set up my pc to be able to upload my mini dv tapes to my pc and then burn them onto a dvd to play on my home dvd player. I have the appropriate software to reformat to mpeg2 or whatever I want.

I think it would be easiest to just tell you what I have and ask what I need! I need to try to do this as cheap as possible too. I'm a college student and every few bucks is important. The main deal is that I have several mini dv tapes (wedding included) that I need to put into a better, more accessible type media for long term "keepage".

I have:
Dell Dimension 4500
256mb RAM
40gb hd (24gb free)
40x cd burner

I THINK I need:
another 512 RAM
about 40-80gb more HD
a dvd burner (OK so I know I need this one)

I've been researching like crazy for these components and man there are too many choices!!!

First off the extra RAM. Newegg.com seems to have excellent prices on a huge selection of RAM... Would something like this be appropriate? http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-145-026&DEPA=1 (I hope the link works)

Also, the extra hard drive. I want to go internal because it's cheaper... Will newegg have what I need??? Any suggestions?

For the dvd burner... I understand the different formats but there are still too many to choose from... I want to go interal here too (unless there's a cheap external burner (doubt it). Doing this will cause me to have to remove my current cd burner (lack of space) Does anyone see a problem with this?

Anyhow, It looks like I need 3 pieces of hardware and I need it as affordable as possible. I've bought from newegg.com before and I'd like to buy it all there if possible???

Thanks!

Brent

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hardware for making dvd's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hardware for making dvd's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
cont....

In reply to: hardware for making dvd's

Collapse -
hmmm

In reply to: cont....

That seams like a great deal for the burner... but only get a dual layer drive if you think you'll need to burn dual layer discs (almost 100% of american home dvd players don't play dual layer) & you can get a single layer drive cheaper I think.

I just got a 120Gig WD hard drive at best buy for $60 after rebate. Don't think it was SATA though... so if you know the diff... research & see what you need/want.

Collapse -
ata/sata...

In reply to: hmmm

This is one area that I don't know anything about. I noticed that some are ata 100, and others ata 133, then you've got sata 150. I don't have a clue as to what they mean. I'm assuming the sata 150 is better than the two prior mentioned but that's just a guess??? I have no idea what compatibility issues (if any) come with each.

Thanks for the advice on the burner... I had no idea that the dual layer disks couldn't be played on most home dvd players. I think I want something simple anyway. I don't need the ability to make really long dvd's. Most of them will be fairly short home movies so I'm not really even concerned about write speeds or anything. Mainly I want a decent quality burner that makes compatible dvd's.

Thanks!

Brent

Collapse -
A lot of these depend on your motherboard

In reply to: ata/sata...

Do you have SATA support anyway? Even on most benchmark tests, SATA is not much faster than ATA, sometimes slower. If your motherboard supports it(should) go with
ATA133. I disagree on the burner. Double-layer, dual-format is the way to go. You don't HAVE to burn everything as 2 layer (or anything, actually). My DVD burners burn more CDs than DVDs. Recently bought 16x, dual-format, double-layer DVD burner down the street at Office Max for $39US. Unless it is a more expensive, always buy MODERN equipment, even if you can't use all the features now. Your next deck may play double side discs. Will the more expensive Sony do anything better, or last longer? FWIW chuck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.