Desktops forum

General discussion

Hardware Choices - Hard Drives & Monitors

I recently asked in this forum about "Dual Core vs. Core 2 Duo" and from the replies have decided to go with the Core 2 Duo. Now another two choices have appeared as I get close to making a purchase in the next few days.

The first choice is hard drives. Better a Hitachi 80 GB Sata or a Seagate 160 GB for $64 extra? I see the larger GB difference, but is there any difference in reliability or speed between the two brands?

The second choice is monitors. Either I can have an Advance CRT 17-inch monitor or a Samsung 17-inch LCD for $91. I'm used to working on a smaller CRT so the 17" CRT would already be a step up. However, the guy at the shop says LCD monitors are easier on your eyes. Is this true?

Thanks for any advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hardware Choices - Hard Drives & Monitors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hardware Choices - Hard Drives & Monitors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
80 GB drives are likely to be used here.

In reply to: Hardware Choices - Hard Drives & Monitors

I can't find too many 80 GB drives today. I did pickup a refurb 1TB for 99 USD so 64 bucks seems out of line.

Collapse -
Google Price Checks

In reply to: 80 GB drives are likely to be used here.

I just Googled "Seagate 160 GB hard drive prices" and the first return was a price ad with this:
* Seagate Barracuda 160 GB Internal hard drive ...$35 to $70 - 135 stores
* Seagate Momentus 5400.3 160 GB Internal hard ...$62 to $134 - 15 stores
* Seagate SV35.2 Series 160 GB Internal hard ...$44 to $83 - 48 stores

So you're right, I need to have a talk with the store about the Hdrive prices. Thanks.

As a side issue I found an article titled "Seagate moves to fix disk drive flaws" dated January 26, 2009. According to the story,Seagate has tried twice to fix a firm-ware bug that caused its high-capacity Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive and its Barracuda ES.2 and DiamondMax 22 Serial ATA drives to freeze.

The story said, "According to users on Seagate's online support forum, the faulty drives were freezing for about 30 seconds during I/O transfers of streaming video or when reading or writing files at low speeds".

Now I guess I'll have to see what Seagate HD model my store is planning to offer me.
----------------

Also, I did some Google research on LCDs vs. CRTs and found that, while LCDs cost more initially, they use less power. And while CRTs may have screen flicker, LCDs may have viewing angle problems. However, the CRT/LCD price difference the store mentioned looks to be about right based on these few price checks on the Internet.

Collapse -
The other things about CRTs is...

In reply to: Google Price Checks

I see them given away on FREECYCLE every week here. Be sure to check that out if you are trying to do this on the cheap.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.