PC Hardware forum

General discussion

hardrive install--help

by clif1966 / January 4, 2005 7:51 PM PST

My 1.4 ghz system has one 20 gig hd and one 10 gig hd on IDE with an IDE cd/dvd drive. I want to replace both hd with an 80 gig hd but save some of the data--not all. Also, do I have to format the drive before install? Help. My OS on the 20 gig hd is win2K. If I take the hds off, how do I get the win2k on--wouldn't the CD/DVD drive be inooerable? HELP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hardrive install--help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hardrive install--help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CDROM support
by TONI H / January 4, 2005 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: hardrive install--help

If you plan to put W2K onto the new harddrive, you can change the bios/setup information to boot to the cdrom as the first device in order to get W2K to boot from the cd, the it will create the partition(s) you want and format it prior to installing W2K on it. This will all be self-explanatory from the screens as they come up.

Disconnect the other two harddrives temporarily so that you only have the new harddrive and the cdrom connected to get this done.

Once you have W2K installed, shut down, and hook up one of the disconnected harddrives as a slave to it. Now change the bios information to again boot from the A: drive as the default.... and boot to the windows desktop.

Go into Explorer on the slaved old drive and then drag and drop folders or files to the new C: drive that you want to keep (or to another partition you may have created on the new drive....if you made partitions, the old harddrive will probably be drive D since it will have a Primary Dos Partition on it from before, but click the drive letters to make sure you know which drives you are 'playing with').

Once you are finished, you can format the old harddrive to empty it out and decide if you want to keep it as a slave for storage reasons, but you still have the second old harddrive to deal with first.

Once you are finished saving what you want from that old harddrive, shut down, and now disconnect that old drive and replace the connection with the second old harddrive, boot up and repeat the same steps you used before to get data you want to save from it.

Once that is completed, you can again format the old drive to empty it out and decide if you want to keep it as a slave or just put it away on a shelf. If you decide to keep one of the drives as a slave for storage, use the largest one of the two.

Remember, that all programs you had installed on either of the two old drives must now be reinstalled on the new harddrive or they won't work. If any of those programs have database information that you want to keep, you can find, on the old drives where the program was originally installed, the files that hold that database information and drag that file to the new location for the newly installed program on C: and when you drop it to that folder, let it overwrite the empty database with the one you dragged.

You now should be able to shut down, reconnect whichever old harddrive you may have decided to keep for storage as the slave, shut the case up, and reboot to the desktop. You will have your new harddrive, a slave drive for storage if you decided to keep one, and your cdrom working fine in Windows.

TONI

Collapse -
thanks
by clif1966 / January 5, 2005 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: CDROM support

many thanks Toni. I will give it a try.

Collapse -
hardrive install 2yk
by beeb / January 5, 2005 11:40 AM PST

Don't do anything! at least until you get your self a copy of powerquest drive image, to copy the whole drive. Then, using one of your old drives as a master drive, link your new hd drive (80gig) as a slave with your strap lead,
(which should have a plug in the centre of the strap, (if not, buy one that has)to your old hd. Then, you can format, install, or restore any of your precious things you backed-up with powerquest.
Essential applications for future reference are powerquest drive image 2002, partition magic, 7,8 etc.

Collapse -
more help
by clif1966 / January 6, 2005 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: hardrive install 2yk

Ok, could I do this? Could I load powerquest or norton ghost on the current master drive then attach the new 80gig drive as the IDE secondary. Using the imaging function, copy the old drive to the new 80gig. Once the copy is complete, remove the old drive and change the 80 gig to the primary--getting rid of the IDE drive all together. Would that work and save me some trouble? By the way, when I purchase the new 80 gig, do I have to format or do anything else when I attach it before using it?

Collapse -
drive replacement
by Daniel32 / January 6, 2005 11:45 PM PST

Remove whichever existing drive does not hold your operating system; let's call this drive "2" for reference. Restart the computer to confirm you got this right. Shut down the computer and install the new drive [let's call it "3"], using the utility that came with it to clone [copy] the drive ["1"] still in the computer, and set up "3" as a "Master with slave present" or similar wording in the instructions. Following the instructions with the new drive, shut down the computer, remove the drive you copied ["1"], install the first drive ["2"] you took out. You may have to move a jumper on drive "2" if it wasn't a slave drive originally. At this point, you can move any or all files from 2 to 3 using Windows Explorer. It's safer to copy the files from one drive to the other, on the chance that some get garbled; if so, go back and make another copy.
When you empty "2", you can remove it and change jumper on "3" to "sole", "single drive", or whichever option that drive uses to show it's the only hard drive. I recommend that you NOT do this; leave one of your existing drives in place as a slave drive, and store all non-program files there; photos, mp3s, movies, documents, etc. This will leave space on "3', which is now drive C, your operating system drive. The more cluttered drive C gets, the slower your system runs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?