Computer Help forum

General discussion

Harddrive Moving Help

Okay here is the deal. I have 2 hard drives, 1 is a 250 gb and the other is 500 gb. I want to move all the contents of the two drives on to a single 1 tb drive. The drive with 250 gb has the OS and programs installed on it, while the 500 gb just has movies and pictures. I also have a 500 gb external hard drive that is currently being used to store a backup copy of my pics (400 gb are open).

recap: How can I move around 750 gb of files onto a single 1 tb drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Harddrive Moving Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Harddrive Moving Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might take a look over in Storage...it's fairly

In reply to: Harddrive Moving Help

straightforward.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
You could probably

In reply to: Harddrive Moving Help

use this program http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/ to copy the OS hard drive to the new hard drive and then copy the other hard drive (500GB) in Windows directly to the new one.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
okay

In reply to: You could probably

SO basically I should put the TB drive into slot two, take out the 500 gb one, then I should copy the OS / everything from the 320 gb hard drive and copy to the TB drive. Then I can put the TB drive in slot 1 and the 500 gb one in slot 2 and then I can copy the exsisting video/pics to the tb harddrive using windows explorer?

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: okay

that would get around you buying a case and using another computer.

Here is one more suggestion. I would keep the OS on a seperate hard drive instead of merging the OS and data files together. Personally, I would leave the OS on the 320 and just install the 1TB and put all the data on there. That way if your OS ever crashes or gets infected, the data on the drive will remain immune. You could copy the OS to the 500gb, but I don't see how any operating system will require this much space. So I would keep the 320 as the OS, perhaps install the 1TB for data such as music, videos, pictures etc, and just make the 500GB an external drive. Just an idea.

~Sovereign

Also, make sure that your computer (bios) supports 1TB hard drives. If not, you may want to either update the bios or make the 1TB an external hdd.

Collapse -
bios?

In reply to: Yes

How can i tell if my bios supports tb drives? and if i make it external will it still transfer as fast?

Collapse -
you could reboot and

In reply to: bios?

login to BIOS and see what version you have and then search in google for the specs of that BIOS. It won't tell you directly in BIOS whether it's supported - not that I know off anyway. Another way would be to just plug in the 1TB and boot in windows and see if it can read it accurately.

The speed depends on what case you get with what connection type. You'd have to check what the fastest connection on your PC is... probably USB 2.0. It would be faster to have it inside, but if you're just going to use it to move/save data on it, it would still be good to use.

~Sovereign

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.