HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Harddrive Crash problem?

by Ashes1980 / July 5, 2010 7:52 AM PDT

I recently had my harddrive crash in my pc, I have two in my box the one i had running windows xp is the one that died, the other one is a 149 gb sata hd I had games and other programs on. The question I have is can I take out the 149 Gb HD and use one of my other pc's to wipe the hard drive and put windows back on it to use for my game pc again?

pls Help
The pc tht crashed was running windows xp 32 bit
3 gigs of ram
amd dual core 3.5 processor
9800 gt nvidia vid card

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Harddrive Crash problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Harddrive Crash problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not exactly.
by Kees Bakker / July 5, 2010 8:00 AM PDT

No need to install Windows on the PC it will run on. So the disk should be in this PC when installing. And if it will install (see below) you can format it during the install, or even install it in the empty space that it has (although that doesn't make much sense, because you will have to reinstall all your games and other programs anyway).

The only important things:
1. Old versions of XP won't install on SATA drives unless you feed them a diskette with the SATA driver or set the BIOS to have it emulate IDE
2. Old versions of XP won't support such a big hard disk.
But with an SP3 installation CD you shouldn't have problems, I think.

Kees

Collapse -
HD Problems
by Ashes1980 / July 6, 2010 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Not exactly.

ok a few questions.. first how would I get my sata drive to emulate ide inside of my bios like what should i change inside of the bios.
Second question i have is my copy of xp is a 2002 version is that considerd an older version that will not support my hd?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.