PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HardDrive can't find track zero!

by how / July 19, 2004 6:56 AM PDT

My hard drive stopped. I replaced the control board and it is now spinning however it can not find track zero. Can any one help me with the next step to make this drive work long enough to duplicate it?
HD Specifications: Western Digital EIDE, Drive (40GB) params: LBA 78125000, model WD400BB-75CAA0, date 05 MAR 2002,DCM DSEANA2CH.
=Many Thanks=
-HOW-

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HardDrive can't find track zero!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HardDrive can't find track zero!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HardDrive can't find track zero!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2004 7:26 AM PDT

Changing the PCB rarely works. Here's why. Not only must you match the make/model, but the FIRMWARE version and PCB revision levels.

Many will not find a working drive to steal the PCB from. They'll get another dead drive and hope it works.

Companies like DriveSavers and Ontrack (dot com) offer data salvation services every day.

Bob

Collapse -
by how / September 2, 2004 9:59 PM PDT

I have removed the media from the bad drive and installed it in a known good drive. (I have facilities to do this kind of stuff) The heads seek but never find home. Finally, drive gives up and stays parked. I have tried Total Recall but they will not talk technical also, want $>K to recover. I can't afford. If I can talk to knowledgeable tech I will learn what I don't know and may be successful.

how?

Collapse -
by billzhills / September 3, 2004 12:04 AM PDT

"If I can talk to knowledgeable tech I will learn what I don't know and may be successful."

You ready to go to work?

Start here
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/hist-c.html
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/index.htm

Re-read Bob's post.

A full and complete understanding and history of H/Ds' is needed, not just talking. The talking comes after, to clarify understanding and proceedures.

You will not be succesfull swapping controller cards, Period. Open the H/D case outside a clean room will destroy the drive. Drop a H/D more than 1" you might get lucky and not destroy the heads.

Trying not to sound harsh.
Just trying to get your attention.
Cause their is no easy way to gaining Knowledge.

Bill

Collapse -
by how / September 3, 2004 5:26 AM PDT

Thank you Bill,
I've always done the hard stuff and somethimes the hard way. I off to start....
how

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2004 12:11 AM PDT

You may have ignored the reasons I supplied why it rarely works. The firmware and PCB revision levels must be exact matches. Beyond that, a failed head, cable from drive to PCB can be broken and that will be beyond many.

Data salvation services are held daily at the noted companies.

When you write you can't afford it, what you may have learned is that backup never looked cheaper.

Bob

Collapse -
by how / September 3, 2004 5:21 AM PDT

Amen to that!!
My back up of all the really important stuff was my salvation. But, I didn't realize how much stuff was not included in my back, many photos and the like were not included in that back up. I would like to recover them and then, there is the challenge of doing it...........

Collapse -
by markw7 / July 19, 2004 9:03 AM PDT

Sounds like the hard drive has a bad surface area not allowing it to find track 0. The old Western Digital hard drives used to have a 3 year warranty. I suggest you call them and get an RMA to get a new one. The fact that you replaced the control board in it may have voided your warranty.

Collapse -
by ozos / September 3, 2004 11:45 AM PDT

you don't seem to understand, having a new HDD isn't what he wants...he wants the data from the old one...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.