Windows 8 forum

General discussion

hard replacement and viruses

by t_126 / September 5, 2014 2:38 PM PDT

when the hard disk of a laptop is replaced by a new one is that possible the viruses in memory or in some other hiding place
be still active?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard replacement and viruses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard replacement and viruses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / September 5, 2014 11:43 PM PDT

Yes, it's possible, any device with sufficient storage is a potential hiding place. However, I'd call this an academic discussion at best because it would challenge some of the best programmers out there to create such a beast and given the variations on hardware from computer to computer it wouldn't necessarily be possible to create or maintain the secondary infection on every computer. The only people who'd be interested in doing such a thing would be governments and maybe the odd really bored genius type who's probably one in a million.

What is far more likely to happen is a virus/worm spreads to another computer, so even after you replace the HDD on the first computer, once you reconnect it to the same network as the second computer, it becomes infected all over again. People today are far more interested in making money off of you than writing destructive viruses, plus the number of people with the skill to write a destructive virus has nose dived. Most so-called hackers today are all using one or two programs that almost completely automate the process of probing a system for known vulnerabilities and delivering a payload if one is found. Take that program away and these people are probably even more clueless than the average person about computers.

Collapse -
Absolute YES!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2014 2:31 AM PDT
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/19/win8_rootkit/ and other reports show it's sadly true.

HOWEVER I've had clients convinced it's some virus and it was just another hardware or software issue all along. The real problem is getting support that can help you find what's up.
Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?