Desktops forum

General discussion

hard drives wont spin/wont start up

by paulmac54 / March 12, 2004 11:06 AM PST

hey,
i just got a new video card, the fan stopped on my last one and fried the processor. anyway, while i had it open, i took the heatsink off the cpu to clean that fan cause it was pretty dusty too. i put the cpu back in and the heatsink back on but now the computer wont cut on. the heatsink fans for the old video card and the cpu cut on but the hard drives wont spin. its like the cpu has locked or something. with only the power cables connected to the hard drives they will spin, but when the cables to the mother board are connected, they wont. can you please help me? thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drives wont spin/wont start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drives wont spin/wont start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:hard drives wont spin/wont start up
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 11:29 AM PST

Sadly, Athlon/Duron CPU's are very susceptible to damage during such an exercise. And if the heatsink is not seated proper with compound or pad, the cpu burns out in about 2 seconds.

Either the cables to the hard disks are off by row/pin, upside down or the CPU is dead.

Tell more.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:hard drives wont spin/wont start up
by paulmac54 / March 12, 2004 11:38 AM PST

thanks for the response. i may have burnt it up then. cables are connected properly. i did smell a small burning smell for a second after the first start up after reseating the fan and cpu. it didnt seem like it was coming from the cpu though. is there any way to find out if the cpu is burnt up? thanks so much

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:hard drives wont spin/wont start up
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 11:47 AM PST

"is there any way to find out if the cpu is burnt up? thanks so much"

I dropped a subtle hint you might have to share what the CPU is. Tell more.

But I had a recent AMD CPU failure at the office and rather than futz with it, I just went with a new motherboard/cpu combo to make sure it would be a one-shot repair.

Bob

Collapse -
The beep test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 11:49 AM PST

If one unplugs the ide cables, the video card and other items, the BEEPs from the speakers is a good sign the parts still installed might be OK.

Bob

Collapse -
cpu specs
by paulmac54 / March 12, 2004 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: The beep test.

sorry about that. it is a Pentium 4/2.0 Ghz 400Mhz

Collapse -
Tough to burn that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: cpu specs
Collapse -
Re:Tough to burn that one.
by paulmac54 / March 12, 2004 12:35 PM PST

one thing that i didnt do, bob, was apply thermal compound when i put the heatsink back on. there was still some left from when i first put the cpu together (almost two years ago). could that be causing the cpu to automatically shut off to keep it from burning up? would it be worth a try to go to the store and get some and apply that? thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
tried the beep test.
by paulmac54 / March 12, 2004 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: The beep test.

i unhooked the motherboard cables to the hard drives and cdrom drives and hit the power button. power cables were still connected to the hard drives and the cdrom drives. they cut on as well as the heat sink fan but there were no beeps. thanks

Collapse -
Try LESS parts. Beep?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: tried the beep test.

With this system, you can remove all cards, RAM to see how low you can go.

Once you reach just the CPU/HSF, Power Supply Unit(PSU), motherboard and the speaker, if it powers up and doesn't beep, you are looking at the 4 possible bad parts.

Be sure to check that all the jumpers on the board are proper. Some may dislodge a few during cleaing...

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Try LESS parts. Beep?
by paulmac54 / March 12, 2004 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: Try LESS parts. Beep?

man, after taking out the RAM still no beep. if it isnt the thermal compound needing to be applied, then i dont know. thanks again.

Collapse -
Even LESS parts. Beep?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2004 1:09 PM PST

Are you down to the four parts yet?

I supplied a link showing the P4 running even without the heatsink, so that's not it.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?