Desktops forum

General discussion

Hard drives keep getting hosed.

Q: Can the hardware in a computer kill hard drives? Power supply faulty? IDE controller self destructive? Mobo failing?

My girlfriends computer killed a 40gb maxtor. So I replaced it with a 40gb western digital, not trusting those silly maxtors. That got a crapload of errors after about 3 weeks and then it croaked too. So I took out one of my several hard drives from my computer and donated an 80gb hard drive that I have had for 2 years with no problems at all ever. Ran disk check (after I filled it with music) and nothing came up. So I formatted and put in her machine. 2 weeks later I get error checking on boot up.

Now I am convinced that 3 hard drives in 2 months is a little freakin ridiculous. One of the hard drives will not even be recognized by bios in three different machines and the other one it just permanently errored. I was hoping not to loose my 80gb because I kind of like it. It is being used right now by the infernal machine.

Not sure if this matters but two of the four integrated USB ports on the motherboard are dead. Is this a sign of motherboard crapping out on me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drives keep getting hosed.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drives keep getting hosed.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the HDDs died, my guess is the PSU

In reply to: Hard drives keep getting hosed.

Is the system on a UPS ?? How old is the PC ??

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Look at

In reply to: Hard drives keep getting hosed.

When you have persistant problem(s) on a system you have to step back. All too often a common link maybe the PSU and/or anything else. I usually like to replace the PSU as a matter of course. While this sometimes corrects the problem it *may* return as it seems yours has and then I see the other half or 2ndary problem, usually the mtrbd. or a compotent/device that was stressed during a bad PSU or whatever caused the problems. Another common link is a high level of "heat stress" and that effects everything as well once you have a stuffed system or non-cleaned dust bunnies in there. Since, you have bad USB ports it could be drivers or mtrbd. h/w fault but since you have multiple probelms it really gets hard to t/s w/o some massive swap. Unstable AC power can also cause weird or unrelated problems in the long run, other than being in the same system.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Yes...

In reply to: Look at

This problem cannot be because of bad ac power, since it has been in the same room as my computer without any problems and it has done this in both my house and our apt.

I doubt it is heat stress since it is so bare. AMD 3200 with one CD rom, 2 sticks of ram, one hard drive and one pci card. It is a roomy aluminium Mid ATX case and 3 fans (One intake, bottom front, one exhaust in the back and one side out.)

The PSU is an interesting idea. This thing uses so little power though... it doesn't even have a floppy drive.

I guess I'll just get a new mobo...

Collapse -
PSU most likely the bad guy but motherboard capacitors

In reply to: Yes...

I had a motherboard that did the same thing only to memory chips. I replaced the PSU and things were fine for a while and then I started getting hard drive errors. After checking the motherboard I found several capacitors with bulging tops which meant they were bad. Don't know if there was a connection between the bad PSU and the capacitors.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.