Computer Help forum

General discussion

hard drive will not turn off, help please

Hi, i have set my power management for the hard drive to turn off after 1 hour yet it will not do that for some reason. I have spybot, zonealarm, avira antivirus and gadwin on my system tray; nero is on as well..I am running xp.

Thanks in advance for any help

Aazyk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive will not turn off, help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive will not turn off, help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Today's XP...

In reply to: hard drive will not turn off, help please

May never stop reading and writing to the hard for a hour so I wouldn't expect the drive to ever sleep. That may have worked in 2001 but not today.
Bob

Collapse -
There's not enough information here

There's just not enough information regarding your initial issue to accurately diagnose what's going on. Based on what you have said alone, it could be any number of things going on. Please give us more insight on your issue, what you're doing, why you're doing it, any major system changes or whatnot that have taken place that you remember in the last couple days.

Right off hand without knowing more about it, I would GUESS that your hard drive isn't kicking off could be a sign low virtual memory. How this works is the less virtual memory you have available the more your drive swaps files back and forth between physical memory and virtual memory, essentially never shutting the drive off. That COULD BE one explanation, however, again, not enough information in your original posting to accurately troubleshoot the issue.

Collapse -
hard drive not turning off

In reply to: There's not enough information here

Thank you for your reply. I have been told not to shut the computer off. So what i have done is set the hard drive to shut down after an hour of not using the computer or when i retire for the evening, while leaving the computer on. Just trying to save energy. There have been no major system changes in the latest while, save that i have installed more ram.

Aazyk

Collapse -
Just sharing...

In reply to: hard drive not turning off

I had a somewhat similar experience with the hard drive seeming to always be working. I had plenty of ram on a machine that was only a few months old. Nothing seemed amiss there.

So I began shutting down programs that were loaded at startup... one by one and slowly observing any response. Then I began shutting down programs running in the lower tray... again one by one and carefully observing how the hard drive activity was affected.

Finally the culprit was isolated so now my hard drive is not working when there is no activity. I cannot be completely sure now but that program may have been AVG 8... that's my memory but may be faulty.

So the moral of this story is to try to solve this by a process of elimination of software that is running. Now the sleep mode works perfectly using Vista Ultimate and is set to sleep after one hour in my case.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) Glen, thanks much for sharing.

In reply to: Just sharing...

Collapse -
Your decision

I agree with the other posters. Under a typical system nowadays, there always something happening in the bkgrd., that is normal. While you may find some pgm. more active than another, with all pgms., one may idle while another isn't, so for all intents and purposes unless you have a pressing need to leave the system on, turn it off. Of course that's up to you, but leaving it on will have the HD working a great deal of the time, so the only relief is turn it off.

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
I think you're probably right. I will probably turn it off.

In reply to: Your decision

I hope the on and off won't harm my computer too much. Happy

Thanks for your help.

Oz

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!