Storage forum

General discussion

Hard Drive Whirring-Type Sound - Please Help!

by jherwig / January 19, 2007 10:20 AM PST

I had been experiencing problems with my old Western Digital 40 Gig Hard Drive (not sure on RPM). It made a constant humming sound and occasionally, every 10 minutes or less, it would make an extremely loud whirring-type sound that lasts about 2-3 seconds and stops.

Also, my CPU usage is very high when doing simple tasks such as opening webpages, but the CPU spiking and the hard drive sound is not simultaneous, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem.

Anyways, I decided to purchase a new WD 120 gig 7200 RPM hard drive last week and the constant humming sound is not present, but the 2-3 second whirring sound is exactly the same. I was thinking this may be a problem with my power supply, but I'm not sure.

I have a Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.79 ghz, 256 MB RAM, Windows XP Professional (2002) Service Pack 2.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Whirring-Type Sound - Please Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Whirring-Type Sound - Please Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have had many WD HDDs...but none 'whir'.
by VAPCMD / January 19, 2007 11:06 AM PST

One thing you might consider is adding memory to that machine...at minimum you're 256MBs short on RAM ....and another 512MB wouldn't hurt either. 1GB is even better if you use the PC much.

Re the 'hum' . . . check the other fans...case fans, PSU fans, CPU HS Fan or chipset HS Fan. While you're checking do yourself a favor an blow out those dust bunnies...they tend to make clog up everything and make the system run hotter.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks
by jherwig / January 20, 2007 7:09 AM PST

Yeah, I'll get some more RAM and then get back to you if there are still problems. Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) By all means let us know...the RAM should help too.
by VAPCMD / January 20, 2007 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!