HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Hard drive was booting only every other time

by Dr Faldown Strangely / June 4, 2006 3:19 PM PDT

but needed hold button reset to do so.

1.8Ghz 512RAM XPsp2

Single '40GB' drive, 30GB occupied/7GB free.

Then yesterday: only 1 user, 33 processes, ewido and adaware SE scanned free -- but simply opening a word doc made the system hang over and over. Found I could open and print by running Word and opening the files from the 'open file menu' -- did this 12 times, fine.

But try to double-click the same file that just printed -- hangs (and same for other files e.g. image files). the Folder showed on two lines in TaskManager Applications ''Not responding'' and no other applications;

I did try cleaning registry ist time ever in nearly 4yo computer, restart seemed fine. But still hung on any particular file even with other applications (ie not just Word).

Defragged but no better. Then thought of ChkDsk....It asked for restart to access certain windows files......now I canot tell whether CHKDSK is doing something or its just stuck in failing to boot.

The greenlight and the redlight are on next to the switch. but no sign of screen or mouse life otherwise...did a reset by holding button in 8 secs as on prev failed boots... turns off but not still the same status switching on.

Can anything be done.

falstra

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive was booting only every other time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive was booting only every other time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
issues
by phantazy / June 5, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

Firstly, depending on whether you have chosen 'chkdsk /f /p' it takes a long time to run, and on old system might be six hours or more, If you run it with the system booted, it will run when you start up, and gives more information, prior to windows starting. Secondly I would run it again, and then run 'sfc /scannow' with Xp Disk in cd drive. If the issue persist after these attempts, the problem is likely to be a) power supply, b) Ram, or c) graphics card. Post back if you want information on these last three.
phantazy

Collapse -
Chkdsk seems to have worked
by Dr Faldown Strangely / June 5, 2006 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: issues

I ran ChkDsk from the C Drive Properties /tools tab. There was no option to ' /f/p '.

I left the computer alone in its apparent hibernation, awaiting some kind of feedback/help (thank you). About 30 minutes after posting, The welcome screen was up and system apparently functioning normally. No hanging on doubleclick, or right click;. turned off and rebooted normally.

I think chkdsk usually runs on screen, but the above 'event' was all black and no light in the optical mouse.

I need to know if this was just a tardy maintenance issue, or is the drive heading south.

Regards
Faldown

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.