User Name HOME\Smarty
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 599.45 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.42 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Yesterday I uninstalled a program and moved 70 photos and/or graphics to my flash drive. After doing disc cleanup, error checking, defrag and running Ccleaner I found that free space which read 6.57 GB had decreased to 5.89 GB. This seeming being much of a reverse of what it should read. I repeated error checking and ran scans with Malwarebites and SuperAntispyware as well as Avast 4 Home but the result remains the same.

Thanking in advance for any comments, suggestions and/or assistance with a view to a solution of the problem.

Standeb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Used Space Increasing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Used Space Increasing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: disc space
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2008 6:01 AM PDT

Windows XP takes a lot of disk space when updating. So that's growing and growing. All you can do: delete old (blue) $NT... folders.

Then periodically delete old System Restore points, either with the disc cleanup wizard (all but the last one) or by turning off system restore (all). That's space also.

Running ccleaner to clean most temp files is even better than doing it with the disc cleanup wizard.

What remains can be analyzed with a tool like TREESIZE or CLDUW. It's interesting, but time-consuming.
Consider buying a larger or a second hard disk.

Kees

Collapse -
That's strange.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 6:13 AM PDT

I wonder if Error Checking, (did you use Windows' ChkDsk?), has created any lost file fragments?

When it does create them it usually places them in the root directory, ie the C:\ drive directory, and they have file names FILE0000.CHK, FILE0001.CHK etc, although I would not expect any very large lost file fragments there.

Have you also checked your System Restore points? There may have been one created when you uninstalled that program.

Also, if you used CCleaner to check your registry and fix errors, it will offer to back up the registry before deleting any orphan registry entries.

I use CCleaner myself, and whilst it does a good job, the amount of disk space it recovers is often quite small, particularly if I use it regularly. Never a minus amount though, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
I'm sure you did this but just to be sure did you empty
by VAPCMD / September 21, 2008 7:00 AM PDT

the recycle bin ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Deleting old files
by helljack6 / September 21, 2008 7:36 AM PDT

I'll have to agree with everyone else regarding the used space. Turn off system restore and finish cleaning up the system before turning it back on.

Open a new text doc, copy and paste the following code into it and save the as "MS Hotfix Backup Removal Tool.bat" (include the quotes) to your desktop. Once it's saved, run it, it will go and clear out all your Hotfix Backups that are stored on your hard drive, freeing up probably alot of room.

C:
CD %WINDIR%
Del kb*.log
For /F "usebackq delims=" %%W in (`dir/d/b/ah $*.*`) Do RD %%W /S /Q

I won't take credit for this as I found this myself searching online for a tool to do just what this does. But I use it religiously.

Also, do the following:

Click start, search, search all files, file name field enter *.tmp,*.chk,~*.*, click advanced search and check search hidden system files/folders option. Delete any and all found. For files you find but CAN'T delete right away, download File Unlocker 1.8.7 and it will remove the active locking handle (means the file's currently in use) so you can continue to delete the files.

Once you're done, turn SR back on, but set it low so it doesn't take up so much space.

Collapse -
Just A Note About Those .chk Files
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Deleting old files

The common .chk files in Windows XP are normally "edb.chk" files which are recovered file fragments, In addition, a few other programs create their own which frequently are used as "checkpoints/checksums". It's a personal choice whether to delete these particular files as the .chk files on Windows XP are extremely small files and since most machines only have thre or four of them, it's not that important to clean them out. Besides, those that are needed will usually get recreated anyway. On Windows XP machines I LEAVE the .chk files where they are primarily because of their checkpoint/checksum status... I've seen a few issues with some programs when their associated .chk was removed. On the older Windows 9.x and ME, I delete them as they can become numerous and large and are generally the result of scandisk operations..

Your choice as to which way to go on this one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hard Drive Used Space Increasing
by standeb / September 21, 2008 8:10 AM PDT

Hi All,

WOW, Thank you so much for your replies. I have just read them and will have to read them again. The comments and suggestions are noted.
you have all made very valuable contributions.

I shall be getting on the job so soon as I close.

Again Thank you and I will be posting back.

standeb.

Collapse -
Hard Drive Used Space Increasing
by standeb / September 21, 2008 1:55 PM PDT

Hi All,

Thank you again for your replies.

To Kees: In the process of doing my cleaning I used CCleaner. I always us it. Your post told me I was on the right track. I am going to purchase another HD.

To VAPCMD: The Bin Was Emptied.

To: Helljack6: I created the the backup removal tool and used it. Removed quite a few things. I also did complete cleaning. Switched off system restore before so doing and limited the space it uses. I also had a post which I got from this forum and printed it, written by Grif on how to clean up temp and chk files. I did that too. Free space now stands at 6.19 GB.

To Mark. Thank you for the thread. Can't answer you properly because if I leave to check what you said I would loose all of this post and would have to re-write.

To: Grif: Your note is well taken. I did not see it before cleaning so the temp and chk files are gone. I will be better minded now.

Having said the above I thank you all for your kind assistance. The responces were very quick in coming and I can't help commending you on that. And by the way. The sites new look is wonderfull.

Best regards.

standeb

Collapse -
Way to Go!
by helljack6 / September 22, 2008 4:21 AM PDT

Standeb,

Glad everything worked out for you. Hopefully using all the input you've received in this forum you'll have nothing but continued computing success in the future.

MODs, despite any of my other ill noted posts in other forums here on CNET, standeb's post goes to show that that is what we're truly here for, paid or not, we're willing to help. Great job and awesome teamwork.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?