Desktops forum

General discussion

Hard drive upgrade

by dpilot83 / January 30, 2007 7:49 AM PST

Hey, I'll put the basic questions first and then you can read the boring extras if you want.

Basics:

Motherboard: P4P800 SE (2 X UltraDMA 100/66/33 and 2 X Serial ATA)
Power Supply: Doesn't have Serial ATA power connectors
Current HD: 80 gig WD (using one of the UltraDMA slots)

I want to upgrade to a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 16MB Cache 320GB Hard Drive. Will this hard drive work with an adapter from the four pin power cord to the serial ATA power cord? I heard that some required a 3.3 volt input or something like that. Will I be able to use both my serial Seagate hard drive and the UltraDMA WD hard drive simultaneously? This is important to me as it will make transferring data much easier.

Thanks

Don't have to read this part:

I know my system can't take advantage of this hard drive. I am trying to get a hard drive of this quality or higher to work with my system so that when I upgrade the rest of the system later I won't have to upgrade the hard drive at the same time. The rest of the upgrade isn't going to happen till the major bugs have been discovered and worked out of Vista though. Until then my current hardware except for the hard drive is good enough for what I do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard drive upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard drive upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should be OK
by linkit / January 30, 2007 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Hard drive upgrade

4-pin molex to SATA power adapter? Yep. Works just fine.

Since HD makers know that the adapters are in common use today, they don't require the 3.3V line that is present in the standard SATA power connectors (without the adapter). If you want more info on this Google: SATA 3.3V power

SATA HDs work just fine in systems with other PATA HDs present.

Download and install the latest SATA driver for your motherboard.

If your motherboard can handle only SATA 1.5Gbps (not 3Gbps), then jumper the SATA drive accordingly.

Enable SATA HD detection in the system BIOS (usually set to "automatic").

Note that if you install of XP to the SATA drive, you need to provide the SATA/RAID driver to the XP installation program (the F6 procedure). The XP CD doesn't have an SATA driver.

Collapse -
You should be OK (addendum)
by linkit / January 30, 2007 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: You should be OK
Collapse -
Thanks
by dpilot83 / January 31, 2007 2:59 AM PST

I appreciate the good advice guys. I took the plunge, bought the hard drive (with necessary cables) and also an OEM copy of XP Pro w/ SP2. Should be coming in a few days. Thanks again for the advice. The website was great.

What are the legalities of OEM versions of XP? I know I won't get tech support from MS unless I pay for it but other than that? I built this system myself and bought an OEM version of XP Pro off ebay long even before SP1 came out. In a way I got bit because I have no proof of purchase and I was dumb and didn't take care of the CD and now it's too scratched up to use so I'm having to buy another copy because to get a cheap replacement you have to have proof of purchase, etc. Other than that though I've been able to get updates and everything so it's seemed alright. Is there anything legally or morally wrong with this approach?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?