PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard Drive Upgrade

by circuitgirl / January 24, 2006 5:38 PM PST

Hi. I need help looking for a compatible hard drive. I have 1.6 gighrz pentium 4 intel, 512 mb ram, only 13 gig hard drive (Maxtor), dvd rom, cd rom, cd-rw. I would like to upgrade the 13 gig hard drive to a 40 gig hard drive. (I really don't need anymore than a 40). What kind/type of hard drive should I purchase. Any coments will be appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hard Drive Upgrade
by Frank Burnworth / January 24, 2006 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Hard Drive Upgrade

Hello,
Depending on the connection of your computer---either IDE or SATA, there are many HD's available. I recently purchased a 250GB drive for what a 40GB would have cost about 18 months ago. I have used Maxtor and Western Digital and have had good luck with both brands. Maxtor may be somewhat cheaper in cost. I would suggest that you buy one with a 7200 rotation speed and with the LARGEST capacity you can afford. Drive space fills rapidly.
Frank

Collapse -
HDD Upgrade
by VAPCMD / January 24, 2006 10:18 PM PST

Laptop or desktop ?

Might there br room to use both HDDs ?

HOw are you backing up this system ?

Is the BIOS up to date ?

Collapse -
some issues
by linkit / January 24, 2006 10:30 PM PST

What is your computer make & model?
What operating system are you running? Windows XP? XP(SP1)? XP(SP2)? Other?

It is very likely that a computer with those specifications can only take a PATA drive and not a SATA drive (without adding a PCI controller card). So you need to get an ATA/100 or ATA/133 drive.

The lowest capacity drives today are usually 80GB. You will find some 40GB drives, but there is little price difference between them and the 80GB models. Check your local store websites for the rebate special HD of the week. You can get over 100GB for less than $50 USD.

Note that there is a BIOS and operating system support issue for drives over 127GB and 138GB. See http://www.48bitlba.com. So you should be safe with a 120GB or smaller PATA drive.

More information on size issues:
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/index.html

Collapse -
Good Reference Info....
by VAPCMD / January 25, 2006 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: some issues

Several years ago PC Mag was soliciting ideas for software programs that would be valuable for users.
I suggested they write a program to help users know what's the largest HHD their system would take with the current BIOS and without using adding a controller with an onboard BIOS or perish the thought ...using Dynamic Disk Overlay ?

Their reply was pathetic at best and suggested it was easy 'just go into the BIOS' ...and I said could you be more specific to which they never responded. Too bad they whimped out on producing software that could have helped so many. Considering you can get a 250GB HDD for about a $100 limiting the choices to a 40GB would have been a shame provided the system would have taken larger.

Anyway...thanks for sharing the refs.

Collapse -
Quick advice...
by Willy / January 25, 2006 12:06 AM PST

If you find a 40gb, great, but usually all too often 80gb and larger are being sold at sale prices quite often. Any 40gb may not be new(be sure) as rebuilds or refurb units are being sold in that capacity. I feel you may be better served buying a 80gb or better HD and feel your system can support it. If 80gb+, you can partition it into 2-40gb (virtual) 40gb HDs to suit even further your 40gb needs. In most cases, when buying a new HD buy the *HD kit*, that way you get all the goodies for a new HD install. So-called OEM or whitebox HDs usually lack the small goodies that make a new HD harder to install. Though you can get the same s/w via the HD support website but not the little h/w. The cost is worth it and in a sale is a real plus. Last, take my advice once the data or required data is transfered to new HD, remove the old HD and store it. Lessen any chance that dual HDs will put excessive power demands on your old system. Another reason to get a more than 40gb+ HD as you really don't need those 13gb no matter how attached to it, the 40gb+ will fill all your needs. Wink

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
You can still buy new
by Ray Harinec / January 25, 2006 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Quick advice...
Collapse -
C'mon WIlly
by VAPCMD / January 25, 2006 10:58 AM PST

Was trying to help the lady and reuse the old HDD as a backup and you're telling it'll overwhelm the system ... sheeeesh. I'll be sure to remind her it was your advice that left her with no backup when her system hiccups or dies and she has no backup. You can do the counseling and consoling.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Agreed...
by linkit / January 25, 2006 12:04 PM PST

In addition, I can't stand slow and noisy. I'd upgrade a 13GB 5400rpm 512K cache drive (or similar) to a 7200rpm 8MB cache drive for those reasons alone.

I'd scrap/eBay the 13GB in favor of CD/DVD backup.

Collapse -
New Egg Is A Good Place To Look
by CG-TG / January 25, 2006 2:55 AM PST

If this is a desktop, I would look at a larger hard drive just for the benefit to Virtual Memory.

If this is for a laptop, I would look at the TravelStar hard drives. They are an excellant value.

I would look on New Egg to find great deals and reliable service.

http://www.newegg.com

Collapse -
Thank You
by circuitgirl / January 25, 2006 10:16 AM PST

Thanks everyone for all your help. It seems that everybody does agree that I would be happier with a larger hard drive than 40. I think thats a better idea too since the prices are not much different. And thanks for the New Egg! Lots to compare and shop for at good prices!

Collapse -
HDD idea
by crawdaddy51563 / March 7, 2006 2:57 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You

You're in luck. Just today I purchased a new 100GB Maxtor SATA 8MB 7200RPM HDD for only $39.99 after rebates and instant savings at CompUSA! This sale is good through this week, and I'd recommend it. The only thing I had to do was to install a Serial ATA interface card, and that cost me $29.99. I was restricted to only 80GB by my current configuration, and the stores were selling 80GB HDD's for $69.99 as far as the eye could see. If you're wanting to spend another $20, you can get a 200GB instead. The installation was a breeze in XP, and it only took 15 minutes. Now I have to do the rest of the stuff such as formatting and partitioning, but the "inside the case" work is done. Now I have this 100GB and the original 20GB, with a tiny slave 8GB. As my new drive is much quicker, I'm considering making it my boot drive and putting the OS on a partition there. Here's a question from me, what's a good plan for partitioning this new 100GB? I will probably ditch the little 8GB at some point unless I can come up with a silly excuse to keep it, but as for the other 2, I'm really unsure of the best way to divy it up. Anyone have a good set plan for this? I don't want to waste my space, but at the same time, I hate to make the XP partition too small, for instance, and have my OS outgrow it. I appreciate anything to offer, and thanks in advance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?