General discussion

hard drive type?

I am in school going to ITT-TECH and in a couple of months we are getting into LINUX. I want to get an external hard drive but small enough to carry with me anyone have any ideas what I should get? I am not sure of the differences in performence between external or internal...

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: hard drive type?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: hard drive type?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Most hard drives

have the same dimensions. The difference in "size" is the number of gigbytes. I recently made two external hard drives by combining a hard drive with an external case. They were half the cost of a ready made external drive and work the same.

- Collapse -
hey GLB

excellent!!!! i'd love to pick yer brain.. thats very interesting constructing an external harddrive from a regular.. sounds like yer a resourceful person... got any other home made gadgets ?

- Collapse -
I got the information here

I would have never known about external cases if I didn't read the posts in this forum. No other home made gadgets. I'm not that clever.

- Collapse -
lol

thats why i love these forums .. theres so much information folks know... i mean typical end users are actually getting smarter from these buggy operating systems .. we are getting smarter while mr gates sits back and collects.. what a life lol go figure !!!

- Collapse -
Couple of options

First, if you want a portable hard drive, get a notebook drive. They're more expensive and slower, but they're much smaller form factor, which you'll appreciate if you're carrying it around a lot.

However, a better option I think, would be to invest in a 1-2GB USB flash drive. There are a few Linux distributions designed specifically to run on these devices. They will be about the same speed as any external HDD, and while you give up some storage space, you can carry the thing around in your pocket.

There's also the option of CD based distributions like Knoppix. The drawback to these is that you can't really save settings from one session to another.

- Collapse -
Small and portable...

I would suggest IOGEAR's 1.8 inch external (has both firewire and USB 2.0 connections)
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GHD118C20

Really small and very portable I would suggest going for the Kanguru Zipper (USB 2.0)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1088087&sku=I46-1802

Relatively small but more storage and least expensive I would suggest a 2.5 inch external USB or Firewire drive such as the Kanguru Quicksilver (available in several capacities)
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=416122

Most important though is the actual use for which you intend it. If just for storage of data files and class notes etc. a flach drive might be more appropriate. If for installing the Linux OS on limitations such as many computers being unable to boot from a removable external drive may enter the picture.

- Collapse -
HDD for LINUX

Edward,

Yes I would be using the HDD for Linux O/S and would be interested in knowing which Microsoft O/S would be most friendly for dual boot, my XP compaq computer (which is new) or my 2000 Pro gateway computer which is quite old.
I am not sure wether to go external or internal either. I will look for your post thanks...

CNET Forums

Forum Info