Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hard Drive turns off and on

I have a Hard Drive, it's no less than 2 years old, and it randomly turns off then back on without warning. And of course when this happens everything locks up.

The Computer itself has a secondary hard drive, it's new and i've never had a problem, and this information is kind of irrelevant because regardless of it being installed or not, the other hard drive still turns itself off and on.

I fixed the problem once before but I recently had to reformat my computer and I did not keep a copy of the program I used to fix it.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive turns off and on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive turns off and on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
informationI forgot

In reply to: Hard Drive turns off and on

By the way I'm running Win XP

Collapse -
Have you 'tested the HDD at question with the HDD

mfgs DIAG ? Each has a DIAG to test their drives...suggest dowloading and testing.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Lost

In reply to: Have you 'tested the HDD at question with the HDD

and how do i do that?

Collapse -
(NT) Have you checked the mfg's website ?

In reply to: Lost

Collapse -
still lost

In reply to: Have you checked the mfg's website ?

You're explanations are so vague... please elaborate

Collapse -
To find out more, tell more.

In reply to: still lost

You have told us no details about your hard disk such as make and model. Given so little to work with we have to use generic answers like this.

"Go to the hard disk makers web site and see if they offer you a diagnostic. Use that to test your hard disk."

If you had supplied the make and model then some will supply you a link and possibly the exact test to run.

Bob

Collapse -
Questions always help

In reply to: To find out more, tell more.

That's why people ask questions to find extra information others mistakenly leave off... It's a Western Digital

Collapse -
That question is asked each time you post.

In reply to: Questions always help

You may be missing those "words in red."

It's an ongoing issue in these forums that many disregard those words and lose time and maybe getting a fast accurate answer.

As to the Western Digital added information, I think my prior reply is sufficient for you to go find the articles or software. But without the model number I decline to look since the issue could be related to that specific drive.

Unlike call in support where you pay, you need to consider this is all volunteer so make it easy for others to help you out. If you don't know the make and model just say so and members will note methods to fill in the missing details.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Have you looked at the drive MFG's website support ??

In reply to: still lost

Collapse -
How do you mean?

What do you mean when you say it turns off and on? If you can describe the symptoms a bit, it would help in understanding just what the problem is.

Collapse -

In reply to: How do you mean?

Randomly while I'm using it the hard drive will stop spinning as if it doesn't have power, and a second later start spinning again.

It's always a random time; 5 minutes today, 3 hours tomorrow, 15 minutes the next time.

Collapse -
Problem Fixed

OK the problem's been fixed.

Some people on Yahoo Answers sent me a link to a program to fix it...

Collapse -
(NT) You don't want to share the fix?

In reply to: Problem Fixed

Collapse -
(NT) Would have been nice...doubt we'll hear !

In reply to: You don't want to share the fix?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.