PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hard Drive Slowdown (3mb/s)

Hello, my secondary hard drive has recently begun to read/write very slowly, from about 50mb/s down to 3mb/s read rates. Thinking a defrag couldn't hurt, I went ahead and did that.. it took over 15 hours to complete. Everything was working fine until a couple weeks ago, I haven't made any changes. Could it be that some configuration variable became corrupted? Or is it more likely time to buy a new drive? Thanks for any advice..

The drive in question is a Seagate 160GB ATA
My main drive is a WD 40GB ATA
Other system specs:
Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1GB RAM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Slowdown (3mb/s)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Slowdown (3mb/s)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sometimes you can go to their website

In reply to: Hard Drive Slowdown (3mb/s)

and download diagnostic utilities.

Collapse -
No support page

In reply to: Sometimes you can go to their website

Seagate.com's support section is 404 not found... nice.

Collapse -
Here's a recurring issue.

In reply to: No support page

XP degrades the DMA mode if it sees errors. Fix? Flip it to PIO and back. How? Hint: Type XP DMA into google.com and read how.

The next thing is that the motherboard drivers need a refresh. I do that all the time even if the owner insists it worked last week. XP doesn't fetch this for us so check the chipset maker's site.

Bob

Collapse -
Good advice, didn't work

In reply to: Here's a recurring issue.

It's looking like there's something physically wrong with the drive, so I'm now looking at replacing it. My question regarding that is.. My MB supports SATA-150, if I buy a HDD that says SATA-300 or SATA-II, will it work in my computer, albeit at a lower speed, or is it necessary to use a SATA-150 HDD? -Thanks

Collapse -
run the diagnostic

In reply to: Good advice, didn't work

Run SeaTools to determine if your drive is functioning properly.

SATA 300 or SATA II drives should be backwards compatible with SATA 150 motherboard controllers. To be sure, check the hard drive's documentation before purchasing. What you usually find is that the hard drive can be jumpered to force it to function as a SATA 150 device.
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5e81781e73d5d010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US

BTW, what is the specific model number of the Seagate hard drive?

Collapse -
Not much luck yet

In reply to: run the diagnostic

Collapse -
(NT) Download it from a different computer and connection

In reply to: Not much luck yet

Collapse -
Got seatools

In reply to: Download it from a different computer and connection

Good idea, this worked. I ran the s.m.a.r.t. test and the long test, and both show no problems.

Collapse -
back to your speed problem

In reply to: Got seatools

Did you try the two things that R. Proffitt mentioned?

1. XP DMA?
2. Proper/latest motherboard drivers?

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: back to your speed problem

I did.

Collapse -
DMA details

In reply to: Yes

On the IDE Channel that has the 160GB Ultra ATA (ATA/100) hard drive attached, what is the DMA mode?

Ultra DMA mode 5, Ultra DMA mode 2, other?

Collapse -
Here's something

In reply to: DMA details

Turns out I was looking at the wrong IDE Channel when resetting the mode to PIO and back to DMA. Now that I've figured that bit out, I see that it's stuck in PIO mode. Setting it to use PIO and then to 'DMA if available' doesn't change anything.. it stays in PIO.

Collapse -
SeaTools Desktop

In reply to: No support page

Collapse -
Re "Here's something"

Tell me about the version of motherboard driver package you installed.

Bob

Collapse -
same problem

Hi unfortunately i have this problem with my brand new seagate 160GB SATA drive but i've runned some benchmarks with this score: Write 3mb\s , Read 200mb\s . Its a bit frustating . I have the newest drivers and the whole computer is 1month old. I've runned the seatool and it took 4hours to complete with the result of failure of the extended test but it didnt say why... so it work properly but slow i checked the main IDE channel it is in PIO mode

Specs:
drive - seagate barracuda 7200 (ST3160811AS)
Windows XP pro s2
1gb ram
Intel Pentium 945D 3.4ghz
motherboard : MSI 945PL

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.