General discussion

Hard drive selection

So, as you may or may not know there has been a lot of problems as of late with Seagate Hard drives (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00272NHOK: check out the 120+ "1 star reviews" to see what I am talking about).
I just had one of my RAID drives fail (~6months) and and concerned as my comp and 2nd raid drive are also Seagate and were put in about the same time.
Has anyone had luck with newer versions of Seagate Hard drives? If not, what manufacturer can you recommend? Please only respond if you drive has been problem free for more than 6 months.

Thanks in Advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Hard drive selection
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hard drive selection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Plenty of luck here.

But luck won't help those that don't have a backup copy.

- Collapse -
Almost no problems with WD or Seagate

A few with older IBM (now Hitachi) but many with Maxtor. My experience with RAID arrays has been mixed. I've only had one confirmed drive failure in a RAID 1 array so it wasn't fatal. I've had RAID arrays "break", however. Data corruption was corrected by rebuilding the array when this happened. All of this is with home, work and PCs in a school I help support so I'm probably only talking about a few hundred drives over a couple of decades. My newest 1/2 dozen or so drives are WD and Seagate but all are over 1 1/2 years old. No RAID in use and no failures on these yet.

- Collapse -
Problems always arise

If you check you'll find there are only 5 HD labels/brands out there. If one becomes a problem, then its resolved. However, sure enough some other brand will have issues too. With such limited HD vendors and overall, they still do pretty good. Yes, you may have issues crop-up and that mode-XYZ is problem prone but none of the makers escape as all will develop some issue as time marches on. I can only say for now, I see no big hoopla that wasn't going to come sooner or later. On non-RAID setups, I find all makers are OK, except for Maxtor. As for RAID, since we're into the Tb levels now, it didn't surprise that a brand would be hit hard for some issue. At the same time, it could also be the overall RAID setup as well. Because, even on lesser cap. HDs issues have always arose. Now beware of your warranty and if you hadn't make back-ups.

CNET Forums