General discussion

Hard Drive repairs

This question is twofold, and actually involves 2 PC's I own - so here goes:

I have a 80 Gb hard drive in my PC that, when defragging, shows 7MB of "bad" sectors. It hasn't affected performance (yet) but I would like to restore these bad sectors. Is there a way to do this (and I would consider reformatting, if I knew it would work)

Also, I have a PC with a 80GB drive, but the Properties shows only 20 Meg of space - the PC is slow, and almost unresponsive - I'm thinking virus(es). I have already replaced the hard drive, but I was wondering if this drive could be salvaged (again, I am considering formatting)

At this time, both systems run Windows ME (although I am considering XP for the first one, and will install it if formatting will repair the bad sectors)

Thanks all!

Discussion is locked

Reply to: Hard Drive repairs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hard Drive repairs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

CNET Forums

Forum Info