Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Storage forum

General discussion

hard drive recovery problem, sort of complex

by Ubik2000 / March 26, 2005 5:05 AM PST

Ok, this is a big complicated. My system (a 1.6 P4) has two hard drives, both in NTFS format: the master (C) is a 40 gig western digital with Windows 2k Pro on it, and the slave (D) is a 160 gig Maxtor. Earlier in the week the D: drive ceased to be accessible in Windows; it no longer appears in ?My Computer? and cannot be reached through any shortcuts. However, it is still shows up as the Primary slave during startup (good thing, as the C: is obviously configured as a master drive and not a single), as well as in the BIOS and in Windows Device Manager. My power supply died the next day, so I?m assuming that was the culprit, and killed the directory or the partition table or whatever.

I replaced the power supply and tried a few programs, trying to get at the files on D: long enough to at least burn some things. HDD Regenerator supposedly managed to fix a few dozen corrupted sectors, and a program called TestDisk lets me see a list of the files and folders on D:, but no other luck.

My plan (and tell me if you have a better one, please) is to do a complete copy of D: onto another hard drive, in a last ditch effort to save my files. A SeaGate 300 gig arrived in the mail today to serve this purpose, it is currently still in the box, unformatted. My question is?what is the best way to go about this copy? I have a Maxtor Ultra ATA PCI card that I?m not using?should I try and add a third hard drive to an already packed system (I have a DVD drive and a CD burner as well) long enough to perform the copy? Should I temporarily attach the new SeaGate to another computer on my home network? The problem with that is, I imagine I would have to be in Windows to use the network, and the D: is not accessible through Windows (the heart of the problem). If I temporarily take out my current C: and put the new drive in it?s place, could I do the copy without installing Windows? Any other ideas?

Copy program suggestions would also be welcome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hard drive recovery problem, sort of complex
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hard drive recovery problem, sort of complex
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Ghost is my Favorite"
by nworley / March 26, 2005 5:51 AM PST

On all my machines, I use two hard drives. One for the master and one to backup an exact duplicate of the master. I use two detachable trays to hold and extract every thing. Ghost is a bit copier that runs in a Dos enviornment and will copy everything backwards or forward. I can use any of the machines to "Ghost" any disk that I want to by inserting the master and slave in any machine, which I do several times a week. If my master gets corrupted, I can copy from the slave in about 15min. or take the slave, make it master, plug it in and I am good to go. I experiment a lot and this arrangement has saved my soul more than once.

Now your plan is a good one. Use a machine, any machine, plug the one drive in on the master and plug the new drive as slave, then insert a Boot copy of Ghost in the A drive, power up the machine and follow the on screen directions.

I use an old 2002 copy of Ghost.

Norm

Collapse -
tried ghost...
by Ubik2000 / March 26, 2005 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: "Ghost is my Favorite"

I've got a copy of Norton Ghost 8.0. I just tried using it, and while it could 'see' the D: drive, but it is greyed out in th menu, unlike the C: drive. It can't make an image of it, or copy it...it says the drive is not partitioned, and so cannot be accessed.

Just formatted the new 300 gig seagate. So I just need to find a copy program that can access the problematic maxtor...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why not use diskwizard from Seagate
by mackman / March 28, 2005 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: tried ghost...
Collapse -
Data recovery.
by DaveAM / April 12, 2005 9:21 AM PDT

I've seen this many times. Especially with external drives that have lost power while connected to windows.

EasyRecovery DataRecovery can recover the data. It's $200, but it will do it. You can download a trial from the ontrack website that will let you see what files are recoverable before purchasing.

This is the only solution that works that I have experience with.

Collapse -
Cont
by DaveAM / April 12, 2005 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Data recovery.

Ghost won't work because your file system/ partition is lost. Even if you did a sector by sector copy you still wouldn't be able to access the data because Ghost won't seen the file system.

Disk Wizard will not allow you to see or recreate the old file system, just reformat the drive with a new one.

Collapse -
Result..?
by GeaFmaN / April 29, 2005 8:28 PM PDT

Hi. Could you please let us know an update of your situation>?
what did you use in the end and what was the result?
I have just had a scare with myE: drive which has about 80G of movies and other things on there, i am right now scanning it in the background with HDD Regenerator. I already have a copy of the program recommended by ontrack so I am armed; just hoping I don't need it!
I would like to know what happened here though so do let us know.

Collapse -
How do you make a backup?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2005 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Result..?

A hard disk is temporary storage. If you don't believe it, I'll wait.

Bob

Collapse -
hope's not lost
by cosmic_strummer / May 6, 2005 5:23 AM PDT

hi,

i work for a professional data recovery company and have a feeling that while you are copying your data, it may or may not be a success.

try to seek the help of a professional data recovery company who are experts in retrieving data out of corrupted drives.

most data recovery programs are not very expensive, and you could in fact have saved the cost of buying a new hard drive if you had sought help from people like us.

the cost of one our products is less than half of what you spent on the new drive. anyway, there's still hope.

my comapny's website address is http://www.stellarinfo.com

try it out once...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!