HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hard Drive Recovery Problem.

by DNevi / June 23, 2010 10:12 AM PDT

My power source went bad and I am not sure what it did to my system as a result. I tried to do a system recovery and it keeps reading a disk error. I tried using a Windows XP disk and it shut down. I am soooo confused.
I need stuff off the old hard drive and someone said I could slave it to the new computer's hard drive, but I have had no luck trying that... partially because I am clueless what that all entails. Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hard Drive Recovery Problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hard Drive Recovery Problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you restart in Safe Mode?
by Coryphaeus / June 23, 2010 10:39 AM PDT

Since you told us nothing about your machine (make and model), after the machine splash screen, begin pressing F8 until you get the Safe Mode screen. Try Safe Mode and then System Restore, pick a date. If SM doesn't work, reboot, F8, choose Last Known Good Configuration. If no joy, holler back, there are major problems.

Tell us more about the new machine and the failing hard drive.

Drive = IDE or SATA?
New machine vacant ports, IDE or SATA?
Placing the drive into an external USB-2 case and accessing via USB.

Collapse -
by DNevi / June 23, 2010 12:18 PM PDT

I apologize. I threw together that post out of frustration and did not accurately and thoroughly cover it.

It is not allowing a System Restore. Last Known Good Configuration... no go.

Drive - SATA
New machine drives use IDE I believe.

External USB-2 case? That sounds promising. I never heard of that.

Collapse -
External case . . .
by Coryphaeus / June 23, 2010 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply
Collapse -
Thanks and a new question
by DNevi / June 25, 2010 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: External case . . .

I cannot even get into safe mode, it goes right to the need a boot disk line.

However, the USB-2 External Link is working wonderfully for which I thank you.
It does spawn a new question though...
The section on the drive marked as My Documents is reading as inaccessible. Is there any way around that so I can get my resume and other documents out of there?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.